Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Prep work and details for the subflooring.

Not much going on today.  It was a nice day, just did a little paperwork and a bit of browsing.  Because of the issues getting an electrician, I am looking at getting a generator.  I found a couple of cheap ones on Craigslist, a 4kW for 100 and a 5kW for 150.  I will call the 5kW one first, since if I plan to use post-construction, a 4kW isn't really sufficient, given that my heating system alone is 3.5kW.  Add in the fridge and water pump, and it would be game over pretty quick.

I also planned out the subflooring, creating the final BOM (bill of materials).   I started looking up board prices on Home Depot's website, and will call Ace tomorrow to get theirs.  I still need to measure the wheels, but these are pretty close estimates.  A couple things of note:  I avoided any outer framing joints on a 16" boundary, staggered all joints in the framing, and kept the area around the wheels free of joints.

Note that the scale on this drawing is 16" per square, most of my others were 12" per square.  Everything lines up better when framing that way.



My final BOM is:
  • 11 2x6x8'
    • 4 cut to 67".  These are the inner joists inside the wheels.  
    • 2 cut to 80".  These are the outer framing for the inside wheels joists.
    • 2 cut to 72".  These are for outer framing
    • 3 of them will be cut to fit for inter-joist supports.  Most will be 14.5".  This isn't actually enough supports, but I will have enough scrap to make the rest.
  • 17 2x6x10'
    • All cut to 99".  These are the joists (and 2 are outside framing).
  • 1 2x6x12'.  
    • Left at 12'.  This is for outer framing
  • 2 2x6x14'.  
    • Left at 14'.  These are for outer framing.
  • 8 2x4x8'.  These will be cut to fit, they are to double up the outer frame since I am putting the wall directly on the frame, not onto subflooring.
  • 38 joist hangers
For reference, if I were to only go to Home depot for the lumber (which means buying 16' for the 14') the total cost would come to $243.76.  Not bad.  The expensive part is not the framing though, it is the plywood.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. well, this step has no plywood, so i haven't looked it up, but on average it is around 25 bucks a sheet depending on the thickness

      Delete