Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Finally a nice day, joists ready

So in an odd turn of events, my tarping worked.  You may recall when building the shed that I normally had to go fetch the tarps from the woods every time I went up.


The work area setup.  It worked quite well.


I moved the generator to the porch.  Beside it are my bulk screws and nails.  The screws are nice ceramic coated self tapping deck screws, Tim recommended them.  When you buy 25 pounds at a time, they aren't expensive either.  The nails are the standard tubs I get from Home Depot.


Another problem I had when building the shed was that I didn't cut the boards to length, resulting in joists that ranged from 11' 11 5/8" to 12' 0 1/2" which made things not line up very well, and resulted in some strange plywood seams.  This time that won't happen.  Every single joist is within a blade width in length, and all but one is within a half blade width.
   

Unfortunately the lumber selection at Hamshaw's (my local Ace) is pretty bad, and while I avoided picking boards with obvious moisture problems, the ones I brought up on Sunday got wet when it rained on me.  Some of them now have strange colors on them, which is likely some form of either mold or mildew.  I will likely have to spray bleach on them to kill it before I put the insulation and stuff in the floor.  It is likely not harmful and would probably die on its own once everything is sealed, but I would rather not take the chance.


I got the covers back on everything preparing for the next bout of rain..




The eight foot boards haven't been cut yet, since I want to fit them to the frame and wanted to check my measurements.  I haven't gotten the trailer back yet.

I am still two 2x6 boards short, one ten foot joist and one 8 footer.  I had a few leftover 7 footers from the shed that I intended to use, but one of them was too twisted, and sadly, even though I picked it, one of the ten footers had a bunch of it bored out from insects.  Doh!  I mainly checked for straightness and major obvious defects when picking the boards, and I missed this one.    I haven't picked up any of the 2x4's yet, but I was going to get those from Home Depot where the selection is better and they are actually cheaper, along with the joist hangers.  I didn't use any hangars on the shed, but they are a good idea.

As you can see above, the tarps are about at capacity.  I am thinking I might pick up one (or maybe two?) car ports from Harbor Freight (assuming they stock them).  One to keep over the work area, and one over the part of the frame being worked on.  Given the temperamental weather of late, it would allow me to work in less than ideal conditions.  I still wouldn't work in major storms, but rainy drizzly days or occasional showers I could work through.

It looks like one day of Dad's trip (Sunday) will be washed out, but Monday and Tuesday are looking good.  I took Wednesday off as well, but the current forecast looks pretty wet and stormy on Wednesday, so I might make it Friday instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment