Thursday, June 1, 2017

First round with the zoning board done, got the well quote.

I had the first meeting with the zoning board this evening.  I didn't get the approval, but the general mood of the meeting was positive, and that I shouldn't have too much issue.  I got lucky that I missed a diagonal abutter, but she worked in the office so she was there.  They gave me a checklist of things they would like to see at the reconvene.  A couple of things of note:  apparently there is no map of the lot on the official town record, which also means that they don't actually know how large my lot is.  I am taxed for 5 acres, so it is somewhere around there.  The deed doesn't give any useful information.  So that is the biggest item.  They want me to mark where everything is going on it as well, so I will have to go visit the septic guy to make sure I get it right.

There are also a couple of state questions they wanted me to directly answer.  They didn't think the living room window was large enough to qualify as an egress entrance (emergency entrance/escape) which is probably accurate, I just made it bigger and called it a day.  There are a few other minor details, such as I didn't know I needed a driveway permit (I didn't even know there was such a thing).  But in general things were positive.  The reconvene is in two weeks, so I have time to get everything together.  I asked for one, since I want to start building, but two is their normal cycle.

I also got the well quote today.  Wells in NH are very deep and very expensive.  I was expecting needing a less than 100ft well, but the guy said it will likely be over 200 feet.  The average well depth on hubbard road is 300 feet, so that is what I was quoted for.  It came to nearly 8 grand.  The good news is that I won't need hydrofracking, which means all the cost is just depth.  I am still holding out hope that my well doesn't need to be that deep, but I will be budgeting for at least the full 300 feet since I am not intending to take out a loan for the well, only the septic.

2 comments:

  1. 300 feet to get down for water? OMG that's deep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not really, our well in argyle was over 200, and Barry (one of my coworkers) has a well that is over 500 and still only produces 1.3 gallons per minute.

      Delete