Saturday, July 23, 2016

Big update, lots of work done.

For starters, I helped Tim take a pretty full truckload of wood out today.  It was over the bed rails (he has a cap), and had lots of good stuff in it, a cherry, oak (I had forgotten how much I love the smell of cut oak), and some maple.  All stuff that was already dead.

I also got a lot of destruction done today.  All the mirrors are out.


The couch is almost completely demolished.


The stove is out.


After Tim had finished cutting wood, he also helped me remove the fridge.  We pretty much just took the prybar, peeled off the wall, and then extracted the fridge.  It was easier than figuring out how to properly remove it.  The hallway looks much larger with the fridge gone.


During the fridge carnage, apparently I lost a vent cover on the outside.


I also started to remove the AC before I got too hot.  This is what was holding the inside piece.  Two of them.  It took forever to get them out, even with a ratchet.


The pile of junk outside is getting big.


So apparently the fire extinguisher that was in the camper was original, still had the 1971 inspection sticker on it.  It still felt full.  The only thing I could think of when I saw this was the scene from Down Periscope where Marty complains about a can that had been on the boat since Korea, to which the cook replied "still tastes like creamed corn."  Except it was deviled ham...  (Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1O9_RVik_Q  )


I was all set to start creating my burn barrel today, but I decided to open the barrel first.  It formerly had methanol in it, and while it was probably bone dry, if it wasn't I didn't want singed eyebrows a la Wile E Coyote.  So I opened it with a 2x4 wedged into it, and have it venting.




The last hour or so that I was up there I was working watching storm clouds roll in and listening to thunder.  So I decided to at least lamely cover the fridge.  I am not sure if it still works, but at the present moment I have no reason to suspect it doesn't.  I probably won't keep it since I want a full size one, but someone else might have use for it.  The band of storms moving through is purple on the radar, so it probably won't hold, but we shall see.


The edge of the storm front.  When I left the property it was 91.  I stopped at Hannaford and Home Depot on the way home, and by the time I got home (less than an hour later) it had dropped to 66.


I also saw these up at the property today.  I can't say that I have ever heard of a wild blueberry, but that is what it looks like.  It wasn't really a bush, but it was also growing directly on a ginormous boulder.

1 comment: