Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Fun weekend, but not terribly productive.

Friday was mostly spent preparing and finishing up the cleaning.  The house has now been cleaned from from one end to the other.  All rugs vacuumed, I did spot cleaning on the walls and windowsills, all the floors were swiffer'd, and so on.  At lunch though, I went out for a walk, it was really nice out, and noticed that along the rail trail I normally walk the leaves are starting to change.  We are projected to have a long but kind of dull foliage season from what I read.


The other thing that happened Friday was my new snowblower arrived.  There might be a problem.  I got lucky that they were willing to take it off the truck for me because I wasn't there when it arrived; I was told I would get a lot more notice than I did.  It ended up working out well for me since I strapped it into the bucket of my tractor and it wouldn't lift it.  Supposedly the snowblower is within the lifting capability of my tractor (it is 640lbs, the lifting capacity of my tractor is just under 690lbs).  I will have to unbox it and hook it up.


Saturday was party day.  The kitchen table with both leaves in it fits, albeit barely.  


It is also huge enough to fit a dish from everyone that came and then some (this picture was taken after the party, so almost everything was removed at this point).  I also cleared off the raised bar in the kitchen, but didn't need it.


As I was cleaning up though, I noticed that the table didn't slide well.  It looks like my fake linoleum was stretching and the table feet left a dent.  I put some felt pads on the feet of the table so it moves more easily.


Saturday I went up to look at a gun cabinet, but the ad was misleading.  It said it came with a key, but that key only opened the main part of the cabinet, the secondary shelf and the drawer were not openable.  So I passed on that.  A little disappointing to drive an hour each way to find out that they omitted some rather important details.  I am at the point of just building one.

The rest of Sunday was painting day.  I think I might dislike painting almost as much (but not quite) as PVC.  I got the first couple of coats on.  The first coat was put on with a foam brush.  


I quickly decided that was not a viable applicator.  I use foam brushes for stain; you don't get random hairs falling out with them, and they smooth the thicker urethanes and stuff nicely.  They don't seem to do paint well.  So I made a run to Home Depot and picked up a cheapie small roller and a few real brushes.  I didn't get any good pictures, but I got to watch the sunset as I drove into town.  


I was originally intending to get an excavator for Monday, but it had already been rented (someone else had the same idea as me apparently renting it for a long weekend).  So Monday was also spent painting.  The roller worked ok, but not great.  I got one that specifically said cabinets, but I think that was a mistake; the knap on it was too fine.  But I got one coat on the doors before I decided I would just wait for my power painter to finish them up, and three coats on all the cabinets.  The surface is rough,  they really need to be sanded and have another coat, but I also tore my sanding sponge doing a little wet sanding after the second coat.  I might just hang them anyways, and do the fine detail work with them in place so I only need to do what is visible.  I was only planning to do the doors and the face of the cabinets.  I really don't understand why I appear to be so awful at painting.  I can paint rooms just fine, I can do stain and urethane (the table I built for the tiny home was gorgeous), but seemingly the only paint I get a nice smooth finish with is spray paint.


This is hopefully going to be an exciting week, the furniture should come in this week, the replacement shelves for the bathroom rack are supposed to be in any day now.  The heat pumps should be in towards the end of the week.  I also ordered a hot tub, though that won't arrive until next week.  I figured out what was rubbing on the e-bike, so I will fix that and hopefully ride it to work this week.  Their fender design is really awful and is waaaaay too close to the tire.  I did briefly look into the discharge for the water filter, and I don't think it should be difficult to have it discharge into the septic, but the washer drain is behind the hot water heater, but it looks like the panel on utility room side might be removable.  So something to investigate at least.

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment