Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Water composition is really important for a hot tub.

So yesterday I went up at lunch when the rain was light, and added the chemicals to the hot tub.  Turns out that what is in your water is really really important, and my water is god awful for use in a hot tub.  The shock is an oxidizer, and my water has a lot of iron and copper and other metals in it, which got oxidized by the shock.  So it turned brown.


In theory I think it is safe to use, just really unappealing.  So I went to the spa place (thankfully there is one in Keene) after work for some metal-gone chemicals and some advice.  They said it would clear up after a couple days with the metal control chemical, and recommended that I put a lot of the metal control in and then change the filter once it cleared up.  I also picked up some calcium booster, because of all the things that my water has in it, calcium it is missing apparently.


I put the chemicals in on my way home from the chemical store (I took the long way back to work).  I also pulled out the filter and washed it before bed.  It needed it.  I tried washing it in the sink, which didn't work well.  

Before work this morning, I took a look and it looks a lot better already.  It is no longer opaque at least.


I pulled the filter again.  It left a very dark trail.  


Mostly because it was extremely dirty.


This time I used the hose for more pressure, and it worked substantially better.  The filter isn't good as new, but doesn't look hideous.


I did some inspection, and there is a little staining on the edges of the tub.  I should be able to scrub it off though when I am done with the tub for the year.


My moat is filling up, we got quite a bit of rain yesterday.  Fortunately it is pooling at the far end, which means I got the gradual slope needed correctly.  I still need to pick up the drainage pipes and whatnot.  I feel dead like I didn't get any sleep last night, but if I stay awake at work enough, I might make a list of materials.  


The hot tub isn't on the checklist, but should hopefully be ready to use in the next day or two.  This is exactly the reason I started with a $280 hot tub instead of a multi-thousand unit.  I also ordered a hose filter (like the kind used for RVs) so that this doesn't happen in the future.  I might still install the whole house filter thing I had in the tiny home as well.  

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Gutters
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment