Monday, September 18, 2023

Trenches and hot tub.

Friday I was out helping Anx install a new door in his garage.  I did a better job on this one than I did the one in the tiny home.  It is much easier with a second person.  


I got to watch a pretty sunset as I did so.



Saturday I went and rented the excavator.  Hurricane Lee was moving through, but all the reports was that it was going to miss us.


It did get unnervingly close as the day wore on though.



In the end all we got was a lot of wind.  


The excavator was a bigger one (I think this is a 3 ton rated unit), and represents the towing limits on my truck.  According to the guy at Home Depot, it is about 9,000 lbs, maybe a little over.  Other than the lack of trailer brakes, my truck did okay with it.  There was enough power, but certainly no excess, and I didn't have any issues this time.  It completely flattened the back end of the truck, much like the tiny home did, so I think tongue weight is the limiting factor when towing with this truck.  


It didn't take long for me to get the hang of it.  I did quickly discover though that where I am putting the new drainage pipe, there was already a drainage system there.  It obviously doesn't work anymore.


Other than a few goofs, like I did the main trench before I did the branches on it so I can no longer get the excavator to where the branches go (I will have to dig them by hand), it dug the main trench surprisingly quickly.  I expected this to be a whole day affair, since the digging alone took an entire day when I did the other french drain with a backhoe.  I was done shortly after lunch time.


After digging the one for the back, I also went and chewed up the pile of  trash in the back.  The hope is that chewing it up will allow me to use the bucket on the tractor to just scoop it out and put it in a dumpster.  


I left a pathway so I could still access the back yard but dug out both sides. This side I didn't get the excavator all the way down since it is really really soft down there.  I panicked a little when I saw the blue, since the daylight pipe for the well is in the same vicinity and is the same color, but it turns out it was just a piece of plastic.


I also tried to move the boulders back a bit.  The excavator had the hydraulic power necessary to move them, but they were too big to get in the bucket and claw.  I pushed it back a little ways though, as best as I could.

I also tried to move the snowblower to the top of the hill.  The excavator would lift it no problem, but the framing it was shipped in was not strong enough, so I didn't try.


I also dug out a trench down by the leech field.  I found this while I was digging.  No idea what it was, but the excavator took care of it.  My best guess is a roll of barbed wire or something. 



I dug this trench differently; the other one I was digging straight in front and then moving the excavator to dig more, this one I was swinging the body around and digging from the side.  The straight ahead was faster, but this was more fun, and you can fling stuff.


Cleaning the excavator took almost as long as the digging itself.  


Especially when this is as far as my hose reaches...  I think it might be time to get a longer hose.  


I cleaned the trailer too, but I just swept it.  The previous guy got lucky he didn't get charged a cleaning fee.  Or he did and the Home Depot associates just did a really terrible job at cleaning it.


I was surprised that I got the trailer backed up the hill first try.  My driveway isn't very straight, but I got it right in front of the excavator.


Sunday was hot tub day.  My water filter had to backflush, so I ended up digging a little channel in the trench to get it the rest of the way to the creek.



I found the foam board I was intending to use for the window unit ACs finally, and ended up using it to level the hot tub.  It isn't perfectly level, but it is close enough.  I am putting it on top of the larger foam board so it has a nice surface to sit on, and also it should help insulate it.  I will be keeping a close eye on how much power it uses to keep it running.  I expect that most of which will be the heater.  Also of note is that longer term the hot tub will be set up in the back yard, but for now I just set it up in the front.  It is easier to access (especially until I complete the drainage), and I will only have it up for about a month.  I will be taking it down when I go to Marianne's wedding and my vacation.  


Other than mine was missing the instruction booklet, after watching a quick video on Youtube, it really is stupidly simple to set up.  Just hook up the body to the bubbler, let it run.  Do the same for the lid.  


Then hook it up to the hoses on the side.


Then fill.


The screen is unfortunately difficult to read in the sunlight, but my water started off at 52 degrees.


It completely drained my filter, which had just run that morning.  I ran it all the way down.


So I kicked a manual backflush.  And then realized that I forgot to move the hose.  Oops. 


Another 75-80 gallons later, it is full and warming up now.



I also went through and made sure I had all the chemicals I will need.  


After the hot tub, I started to work on the carport, but then I got lazy.  It is jacked up and ready to be worked on though.  


When I went to bed, it was at 72 degrees, and when I left for work this morning, it up to 86, so it is warm enough to start using.  Too bad it is wet and rainy all day today though.  I might still put the chemicals in it today anyways though.

I took a quick look out the and back door this morning, and the trench is starting to fill with water.  Sigh.


This starts the carport and the drainage, but both will take a little while to complete.  I hope to at least finish the carport before I have visitors this weekend though.

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment