Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The house got moved, but it won.

Yesterday was house moving day.  After making a run to the dump, I decided to put my tractor to work.  The fridge has been moved to the pile for future consideration.  I never got a chance to bring it to the scrap metal place.  


Next up was the last of the stuff in the house.  Every cabinet and drawer is now empty.


And also the washing machine.  


I decided to tape everything larger than a screw hole to prevent rodent infestation.  Hopefully it works.


The portable garage still has some space, but there wasn't enough for the futon, so I left that in the house.


I do have enough space for some stuff that work is tossing though.  In addition to the sit/stand desk base, high chair (for the bar in the new house), fan and trash can (the brown one, though I don't think anyone would know if I poached one of the blue recycling bins) that are in the picture, I have two more chairs I can take and a rolling three drawer cabinet.


All my immediate use stuff got put in the truck.  This threw a major wrench in the whole keep my stuff in the back of the truck and just use the Jackery to power everything plan.  The fridge doesn't fit the other way, and the door is facing the passenger's seat.


I wasn't too keen on having propane in the sun with a black interior in the summer though, so I left them outside under the cap.


After a little beating, the coupler latch started working again.  The jack was new when I built the house (I replaced it), so it isn't that old and still worked fine.  


It is a 5,000lb jack, so it didn't have any problems with the excessive tongue weight.  It was easily able to lift it off the blocks and stuff, which made the supports really easy to remove.


After that the reciprocating saw made short work of the plumbing.  


After that I opened up the hose valve to drain the pressure tank.


Surprisingly the electric was still as clean as the day I installed it.  5 minutes with a screwdriver and it was off.  


It is really easy to back the tractor in to pull something and then raise the three point hitch to set it in.  


Too bad it was too heavy for the tractor though.  It actually pulled it, but the front was in the air and there was no steering.  And it did this to the back tires.  Keep in mind that these tires are filled, meaning they are filled with liquid (which doesn't compress well), not air.  They do that as a counterweight for the loader.  I decided not to push my luck.


After that, I spent some time trying to get the ball out.  It really stuck in quite well.  As I found out (and confirmed later with the truck), a tap on the passenger side with a sledge hammer and it pops right out.  Not sure why, but it isn't that important I guess.

The truck got it down the hill.  Very unhappily.  The house pretty much flattened the back of the truck.  The house also broke the truck, but the truck got it there anyways.  There was a pop when I went to transition from 4H to 4L (once I got into the softer stuff) and it refused to shift, and I lost my driving modes as a result.  Hopefully that is far enough out of the way for the house.  For reference, the back end isn't squatting quite as bad as it looks, the rear tires are off the side of the driveway, and there is a dip there.


Even though I only went from the slab to the front yard, it tore up the paint on the ball quite a bit.  As I found when getting it out of the tractor, I raised the jack to get it higher than the truck should be, and a single tap with the sledge hammer and it fell right out.


After that I dragged down my stairs and stuff, chocked the wheels, and took a look inside.  Despite how rough getting it down the hill was, there wasn't really any issues.  Things like the shelf by the door which isn't attached didn't even fall over.


I only saw a couple of things flop over in the laundry room.  I also noticed some water on the floor.  


Apparently the AC decided to spit the water in its drain pan into the house.  That was kind of annoying, but all things considered not a big deal.  


The area down there is a lot less level than I thought.  


The new view out of the big window.  I actually like this view better than the old one, it has the creek in it.  It still has a trash culvert in it though so I don't feel out of place though.  For reference, the accelerometer in my camera said that the camera was level when I took this picture.


I did run into work since I forgot to fill my water container before disconnecting everything.  The picture didn't do it justice, but it was a pretty sunset.


I worked remotely this morning, and the electrician and site work guy both showed up this morning.  He said he will have the old slab out and stake out the area for the new one today, so I will be eagerly awaiting that when I get home.  I didn't expect it that quickly.  I went up to Ford and showed the guy what the truck was doing.  He seemed to think it was either a busted gear or solenoid in the transfer case.  The good news is that the truck is fine in 2-wheel drive.  I have an appointment on the 19th to get it fixed.  I did get to see some pretty wildflowers on route 9 on the way in though.  

Now that the house is moved and the work has begun, the point of the checklist is no more.  I probably won't do much as far as projects with no utilities up there, so outside of reporting house progress, there might be fewer posts going forward.  At the very least, I might level the trailer at least some, but I am really stiff and sore from the last couple of days, so I will probably take it easy for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment