Thursday, June 8, 2023

Forms are almost complete.

Yesterday's site work update: the gravel is mostly done, and most of the forms are installed for pouring.  I was under the impression that an anchor below the frost line was required, but I don't see one.  Maybe it is just the gravel and base has to be below the frost line?  Either way, I don't really care, the requirements in NH in general are ludicrous overkill.  Most of the country you can put a mobile home on blocks on dirt.  While I wouldn't do that, the whole 6", anchored below the frost line, double reinforced rebar for 4 feet in from all edges, and all that jazz seems like more than is necessary.


I am not sure what the purpose of the green ring is, but left to right we have the new conduit for the electric, the spare conduit (in my case it will be fiber), the water lines for the well are in the green ring, and the septic lines that he redid to remove my non-standard soil pipe adapter.


Apparently he left his truck up there.  It is a nice truck.  I looked at dump boxes before I bought mine, but they were waaay too expensive for my tastes (and required bumping up to a 3/4 ton).


I talked with the guy yesterday at lunch (I went up for my lunch break).  He thought the slab would be ready to pour on Monday.  It needs a week to cure.  Apparently the house is ahead of schedule and will be ready to ship this week, so I will be looking at a delivery on the 19th.  I might have to call in sick that day; that is the day my truck is going in to get fixed as well.  I should be in the house before the 4th of July.

A couple of other minor updates.  While up there at lunch I tried to level the trailer at least some before it started raining.  I did not meet with success.  I lifted the trailer a couple of inches on its suspension, so it is less bad, but it will be a long jacking process on soft ground to try to lift it enough to be level, so I gave up.  This is short term anyways. 


I turned the bed the other way though so I wouldn't roll out of it again.  I haven't fallen completely out yet, I have always woken up when I was on the edge (even in my sleep I can apparently detect the imminent danger), but that shouldn't be a big deal now.  The house isn't perfectly level in the other axis either, but it isn't far enough off that I care.


I finally used the portable toilet yesterday after I got back from Andy's birthday.  So far my thoughts on it are that it is perfectly fine.  The hand pump for the water is obnoxious.  The thing is really stiff, but only pumps a tablespoon or two, which is typically not enough to rinse the bowl.  The seal on it is surprisingly good though, I don't smell anything when it is closed.  I put one of those black water tank tablets in that it came with (the orange version of this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Treatment-Drop-INs-Unwanted-41183/dp/B016V2B1Z8/ref=sr_1_1).  We shall see how well they work.  They are different than the stuff that Dad puts in his black tank.


The weather continues to be obnoxious, but it isn't really a problem for me.  I just hope it isn't a problem for the slab.  The cooler weather is nice in that I don't need to run any power at home (no fans or anything), though it isn't always pleasant getting out of bed when it is 50° in the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment