Tuesday, July 25, 2023

New House. Finally

I went through and did the final house inspection yesterday.  I got the keys for the place, even though I haven't paid him the final bill yet.  The bank was being slow.  But at any rate, I have the keys.  And a free flashlight keyring.  And yes, the code for the key is the same as the Druidia airlock.


Here are the pictures of the house. Starting at the end:
Master Bathroom.  I like the window above the tub.  It is kind of nice to let natural light in.  


The vanity.  Nice and large.  No medicine cabinet, which I might add later.


There is a bunch of empty space, and some shelves for towels and the like.  I kinda wish the shelves came out flush, but I can do that later.  That was a consequence of the widening, they didn't deepen the shelves, since they are just basic wire shelving.


The master bedroom.  It only has one window.  I debated adding a second on the left wall, but it would just be looking out at the carport, so I decided against it.  There might also be a deck or something over there eventually though.  


The master closet.  The two access panels are for the water filter (left) and hot water heater (right).


There is more hanging space than I know what to do with.  I might eventually take the left and put shelves in for my camping or hunting gear or something. 


The living room.  I noticed that the picture is slightly distorted.  My new phone has a wide angle (0.6x zoom) that I used for this picture.  Worth noting if I use that mode in the future.  It is quite useful to have though, despite the image defects.  The living room is the main reason that I went 28' wide instead of 24'.  I wanted the wall on the far side to be long enough for a large TV stand and possibly something next to it.  For starters, it will just be my laptop, but I didn't want to pidgeon-hole the TV into a corner.


The living room as it appears from the front door.


The kitchen.  


The sinks.  They are a bit small, which is why I prefer single basin, but most people for whatever reason prefer double basin.  


The stove.  It isn't a cheapo model, but isn't anything too fancy.  Just a mid-range Whirlpool.


The fridge.  A pretty basic Whirlpool model.  The dishwasher on the left is a middling Whirlpool model.  The appliances do come with a warranty.  


The pantry.


The utility room.


The electric box.  There is an adequate number of spare breaker slots, though not a ton.  I think adding 6 more circuits would more than likely overload the 100A main.  


Dryer hookups.  It will be nice to have a real dryer again.  


Washer hookups and the water filter plumbing.  I kind of wish the handles were blue and red for hot and cold, but oh well.  I am not too worried about it.  The right is the furnace.  It may not make winter; I should have enough cash leftover to put in a heat pump.  


The small bedroom (BR3).  I don't know what I am going to do with this room yet.  Probably put in a desk/office or something.  Maybe leave it open to be a guest room?  I wasn't intending to buy extra furniture for guests though.


The small room has a small closet.


The other bedroom is a bit larger.  I am planning on turning this room into a home gym, which is why I got the extra window installed.  The window on the right I paid extra for.


These windows were a bit different than the others.  I am not sure if I got a window upgrade since I added one or something.  Also of note the blinds are the nicer style that doesn't have a pull cord to raise/lower them.


The second bathroom.  This was one of the other biggest beneficiaries of the width upgrade.  The vanity went from an 18" (basically just a sink) to a 24" vanity, and there is space around the toilet so it isn't a sardine can.  This also has the natural light upgrade above the tub.  


It didn't cost any extra/was free, so I had them put cable jacks in the walls on the front half of the house.  I intend to get those Mocha adapters, and use them as my hardwired ethernet.  


One of the things that FineLine asked me to do was look for any oddities.  My first thing is that there is a really loud squeak right here.  


I did a video walkthrough as well.  It is pretty long, about 7 minutes.  Apparently Blogger doesn't allow videos anymore (or it is over the size threshold or something), but the video should be available at the album for these: https://photos.app.goo.gl/himjpwqyLQJmnEgLA

I plan to start the upgrades by getting a quote for a heat pump.  I don't like the thought of heating with propane come winter.  My electric is absurdly expensive, but I don't think propane would be cheaper.  The cooling will be nice too.  I have enough window units to cool it though.  This is the list of upgrades and the order I plan to start working on them (basically until my money runs out).  A lot of the furniture I would build myself, like the entertainment center I would build, but I would upgrade the TV with one that is larger (naturally) and doesn't have a scratch on the screen.
  1. Heat pump
  2. Queen bed.
  3. Washer/Dryer
  4. Couch/Armchair/Living Room
  5. Curtains
  6. Home Gym
  7. TV/Entertainment center.
  8. Upgrade lights to LED.  
My dad is coming up (he left last night) to help me move in, so it might be a couple of days before I post again.  I have Wednesday and Thursday off to try to get everything wrapped up.

5 comments:

  1. WOW !! Really nice Allen! You went from having hardly any space to not knowing what to do with the space you have. If you're like me and others, in a couple of years you'll be wondering how you can add more space.

    We have a whole house Samsung heat pump as well as a conventional forced hot air propane furnace that has served us for 35 years. This past winter we tried using the heat pump exclusively for the first time. It heated just fine but we found it cost much more than the propane. Yes, it is more efficient but the cost of electricity vs the cost of propane ($2.80/gal) made it considerably costlier. But. as you mentioned, we also get the benefit of the AC in the summertime with the heat pump. With modern building techniques, the cost between the two for you probably wouldn't be great.

    When you extend the bathroom shelves, consider putting them on slides so you easily have access to the things in the back.

    You mentioned you have 100 amp breaker box. Did the power company bring 200A service to your meter?

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my new meter and panel is all 200A. The box under the meter has a 100A breaker which is what the house is plugged into. I still have plenty of space for more breakers at the meter, so if I wanted to add a circuit for a shed/garage or hot tub or something, I wouldn't necessarily have to run it off the house panel.

      Delete
    2. Also, the house is reasonably well insulated (R19 walls, R22 I think floor, and R38 ceiling).

      Delete
    3. Kinda figured. The issue I have is that my house is 40 years old and has a LOT of glass so my heating/cooling losses are much greater than yours.

      Delete