Sunday, July 9, 2023

Finally mowed, but still soggy.

We had a couple nice days in a row towards the end of last week (nice meaning dry, it was really hot and humid).  With the rain set to return on Saturday, I took off early on Friday to mow.  It has been so long that the tractor didn't start.  I had to jump it with the truck.  With the truck behind it, it started really fast.  This is definitely the last year for this battery.
 

Even after three days with no rain, large chunks of the yard were still saturated.  I sprayed a lot of water mowing, and I didn't even do the typically wet areas.
 
The swamp got mowed though.  This area was more like mud bogging than mowing though.  I fortunately didn't get stuck, though I did spin a lot. 

After doing the front, I went and drove the lawn tractor around.  The grade he put in on he side by the creek actually drained surprisingly well and was quite firm.  The back yard not so much.  I think I need to buy an excavator and put in another french drain...

Still, I got the bulk of the front done.  I didn't do the other side since I don't even think my Kubota could get through it without getting stuck.  You can see by the weeds how tall it was, it was thigh high in places.  And despite that, I might have discharged more water than grass/weeds.  Good thing stuff doesn't collect on this deck.

One of the other things I did this weekend was I pulled out one of my window AC units and plugged it in.  The Jackery ran it just fine, but it was drawing 500W (499 in the picture since the screen is hard to read).  At that draw the Jackery might make 4 hours, but my money would be on 3.5 hours.  So no AC on the Jackery.  

 
I am debating (and leaning towards yes) putting in a set of outlets on the panel with the meter.  I originally didn't bother because the house has exterior outlets on it, but even on just a single extension cord I could run a small AC and the lights and stuff.  Most of the house will run on a single 20A circuit.

Something else I have noticed is that the T1-11 siding on the tiny home is starting to come apart, almost like plywood that has been drenched a few too many times.  It is curling and starting to recede at the seams.  I am not too worried about it surviving though.

Another note on the siding: it has been so wet that my tiny home is growing shrooms.

After the storms Friday night, we did at least get a nice sunset.  

My new phone came in Friday, but too late to get it activated.  I will do that next week and finally be rid of Google Fi.

I need to come up with something new to do too.  Most of the time I just sit at my computer at work and watch movies or browse the internet, but even that is boring.  I need some new entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. As soon as the house is put together, you will no longer be bored. There will be LOTS to do

    ReplyDelete