Monday, April 17, 2023

The snow is finally gone.

Friday was very toasty.  Even in Sullivan it got well into the 80s. Despite closing the windows and shutting everything down before I left, it was still roasting inside when I got home.  


So I decided to crank on the AC.  Surprisingly, it actually seemed to work just fine.  It pulled down, and held it at setpoint.  No thermal runaway or anything.  What an annoying machine.


After I finished melting, I got the last rack set up in the shed.  


I got to watch the sunset as I was doing it though.  


I also started getting the poles pulled out for the portable garage as I ran out of daylight.  


After dark I got the next round of stuff ready to pull out.  I lugged it all up to the shed Saturday morning before Barry arrived.


I got the top of the fridge cleaned off too.  Except for my dehydrator.  


Mercifully, Saturday was cooler than Friday, though it was still toasty enough.  Most of Saturday was spent doing tree work.  Barry's saw kind of makes mine look like a toy.  But there are no more trees hanging down over the shed.


The back yard looks better, those old dead pines are gone.  

You can actually see up to the rock wall from the backyard now.


One of the pines was hollow.  It didn't seem to have any critters living in it though.  


I pushed back the front as well.  I am thinking of buying/renting a chipper for the brush.


While I was in the back, I took a poke around.  I had a ton of blowdown over the winter.


I put out the rest of my mosquito dunks, we are getting very close to black fly season.  That is the little donut like thing in the water.


While I was putting them out, I think I found the tarp I lost that was covering the generator.  The spec of blue in the middle.


I spent most of the afternoon picking up the wood.  The bed of my truck is quite full.  The bed is level now, so it is squatting too.  



I also got my first sunburn of the season.


Sunday I was stiff and sore, but started with getting the portable garage set up.  I put down the two sheets of press board I had as well.  I hate that crap, and it was sitting in the shed.  The side I put down was painted (this was originally for the ceiling in the house) so hopefully it will limit moisture coming up through the ground and make it safer for me to put furniture in here.


I moved the storage tote around to the back.  With the wire rack and portable garage taken out, it is actually mostly empty now.  


I also did a bunch of little things, dodging dribbles.  I went to finish cleaning out my totes (get the Pine-Sol in them before it rained).  Apparently a family of mice got into this one.  I am not sure how, there was another tote stacked inside it.  They couldn't figure out how to get out.  I will call this a win against the mice.  


I moved my wheel weights and some other stuff up alongside the carport.  I am hoping to prevent it from blowing over like it did last year.  https://eskimoalva.blogspot.com/2021/11/garage-well-not-anymore.html for those who don't remember.


I also pulled out the spare tire for my house.  It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I re-primed it with rust converter anyways.



Just a short packing update: I am now at the point of moving furniture.  The shelves are ready to be moved, they are over by the door.  The closet is getting close to being able to be moved as well.  


The corner of the shed is getting pretty full too.  


As I finished up last night, I realized it was finally time to call it for my snow.  


And to finish off: the trees in Keene are blooming.  


On the mortgage front: I just signed the official closing document.  When you see numbers like these, it really makes you wonder how real estate is considered an investment if you don't pay cash for it, but I hope to have it paid off in less than ten years, so I won't pay nearly that amount.  But otherwise things are mostly in a state of just waiting.  

I had hoped to have all the preliminary packing done this weekend, but it is at least really close.  The portable garage is up now though, and I guess I technically started the tires.  A couple of the missing pieces have been ordered too.  I ordered a water jug and the battery backup.  It is kind of annoying that it is signature required but the tracking just says it will be here sometime this week maybe. 

Before the site work:
  • Get a 2 5/16 ball for my truck
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Propane - Scheduled for May 3rd
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Water Heater
  • Finish packing up house
  • Move house to parking spot.  Plug septic.
  • Fix generator again.
Winter projects:
  • Fix the generator.  Again.
  • Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Build prototype cap.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment