Thursday, April 6, 2023

Watering my snow didn't work as hoped.

Not too much exciting stuff has been going on during the week.  The mortgage is ready to go to closing, but apparently they didn't like the homeowners quote I got.  It didn't have a builder's risk rider or something.  So I will be going and grabbing a new quote today.  

The last couple of days I haven't done too much.  I went through and cleaned my fans.  The little Lakewood ones had gotten pretty bad. 


It works much better now though.  They are beginning to rust quite a bit, probably from sitting in windows when it rains over the last 15 years (these are the fans I swiped from the house in NY).  They might be on the block for replacement in the near future, but for now they still work fine.  


I noticed out on my walk yesterday that the trees are starting to bud in Keene.  Won't be too much longer.  Spring is coming, whether mother nature likes it or not.


Last night I decided to try to melt more snow.  One of my crazier ideas over the winter in case the snowblower failed was to just water it.  Since I was curious how badly the hose was damaged from being bent, I decided to try it.  It won't be below freezing again until Friday, so it wouldn't create ice problems.  Turns out the hose still works, though I can't close the valve anymore, it is stuck open.  But otherwise everything worked.  Since I have a shutoff inside the house (that I use to drain it for the winter) the valve being busted really isn't an issue.


Watering the snow didn't work as well as I hoped.  I could clearly tell when the water pump kicked on and the temperature of the water I was spraying went from 65 degrees to 35 degrees.  


In the end, it melted the snow on top of the ice okay, but the ice itself was relatively unfazed.  


My nozzle apparently doesn't completely close anymore either.  Oh well, hose heads are cheap.


The hose definitely still has a lot of throughput.  I didn't turn off my water filter, and it looks like I sprayed about 100 gallons on it and I was out there for about 20 minutes.  5gpm is about the maximum throughput of my water filter these days.  This starts at 200 after every backflush, and I use maybe 5-10 gallons a day, sometimes more if I do laundry.


After that disappointment, I finished packing the next tote, the one with all my houseware appliances.  I stuffed the extra linens (in bags) on top just to finish filling it.  Everything except the really big window fans, and the space heater I still need is in there.


I am out of totes that I brought back from KY, so I will need to go through the ones in the shed.  It is supposed to be in the upper 50s/low 60s today, so hopefully the path up to the shed finishes melting off.  At least enough to where I won't sink or slide going up to the shed.  The part I had shoveled cleared off pretty much the next day.  I am hoping melting the snow off the top of the ice will allow the ice to melt off and I can get the chainsaw up there and chop up that tree so I can set the portable garage thing up and make some good progress this weekend. The storm coming through today missed and it is supposed to be decent this weekend.  

Before the site work:
  • Get a 2 5/16 ball for my truck
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Propane - Scheduled for May 3rd
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Water Heater
  • Finish packing up house
  • Move house to parking spot.  Plug septic.
  • Fix generator again.
Winter projects:
  • Fix the generator.  Again.
  • Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Build prototype cap.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment