Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Another disappointing snowstorm.

We got another storm yesterday that was supposed to drop 6-10, but only dropped around 4inches.  On the plus side, it means that I don't have to clear anything, except for down by the road and the steps.  I can pull a NH and not do anything about it.  This is what the road looked like even though I was following a line of 3 plow trucks (that didn't go over 20mph...).  My tax dollars hard at work.


The insulation seems to have helped more than I figured.  For the first time in a long time, the far end of the house was actually warmer than right next to the heat pump.


It will get tested tonight, since we are supposed to get well below 0 tonight. 

In other news, I am finally reaping the reward of building my own place.  I just paid off my truck, and didn't need my tax return to do it.  It will completely empty my account, but my truck is now completely mine.  Next up: the federal student loans.  The Firstmark loans have a higher interest rate (6.0% vs 5.8%), but I am paying 450 a month to the federal ones, and only 96 to Firstmark.  I also owe less on the federal ones at this point.  Even though I didn't want it, it looks like I got a 20 year term on Firstmark since I have paid off only a couple of grand on it since college.  Not sure how I missed that; I was fairly certain that all my loans were 10 year (which is next year).  I hope to have the federal loans gone this year.  After that I will have to decide whether to attack Firstmark or the personal loan I took out for the septic.  I will probably go after the septic, since it is at 9%, even though it is twice as much and will take a while to get down, even if I am paying 1500 a month extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment