Monday, January 28, 2019

Not the most productive weekend.

Not a very productive weekend.

I didn't get a whole lot done over the weekend.  I pulled my hamstring and did something not very nice to my knee in the gym on Friday, so I took it easy over the weekend. 

I did however force myself up on the ladder to get the insulation completed. I am glad the ladder didn't buckle.  It was very cold out (so the aluminum was brittle) and it is only a 225lb ladder, which I am a bit over.  But it is up, and I also put a 2x4 on it to help hold it in place, since screws don't hold foam well.  I put them in at an angle, so I also have the shaft of the screw helping to hold.  We shall see if it is sufficient, it is supposed to get well below zero again this week.  I also pulled in a space heater since airflow to behind the box with the water heater is limited.  Hopefully this will keep it from freezing.  Looks tacky, but should work fine.  It is only R5, I thought the foam was better than that.  It still brings the wall up to R18 though (the fiberglass is R13).  They did have some foam that was higher, but it was polyisocyanurate, not XPS (extruded polystyrene) and isn't as weather resistant.


It is kind of a bummer to have lost all the natural light.  In the winter when the sun is coming from the south, this was one of the primary inlets for natural light.  That said, I work from dawn to dusk, so it isn't a big issue.  I might cut out the window at some point in the near future, if I get a nice weekend.


No movement on the checklist.  I did stop by Home Depot, and they apparently don't carry smaller sink bases anymore.  I am debating whether to order in a series, or just build my own.  If you want to build them to "perfection" they can be very complex and difficult to build, but for basic functionality and more simplistic designs, they aren't too bad, they are basically a box on a 1x4 base structure with doors on them.  Building my own would allow me to build the sizes that I need, but it is very very time consuming.  It would also require that I get the shed fully operational, since all the cuts will need to be done with a table saw, and I would need to get some rollers and whatnot since the table isn't big enough.

I am also considering building the pantry first, since that would go a long way to helping clean out the kitchen.   That table just isn't large enough. 

  1. Install bathroom fixtures.
  2. Get hot water heater installed.
  3. Install some form of cabinets in the kitchen.
  4. Install kitchen sink.
  5. Install kitchen appliances.
  6. Get propane installed.
  7. Build bed frame.
  8. Build closets.
  9. Install table.
  10. Smooth driveway enough to plow/clear
  11. Fix snowblower.  
  12. Winterize equipment (mower, undercoat the truck, etc).
  13. Clear slab
  14. Shed work
    1. Extend roof to prevent snow pushing on the side.
    2. Fix pilings

1 comment: