Thursday, January 17, 2019

Why preparing, always preparing? Just go.

I haven't gotten much done this week, Three of the days I didn't put my bed up, but tonight I decided to skip the gym and all that. 

As you might be aware, we are getting a Billy Fuccillo "huge" snowstorm this weekend.  We are currently slated for 2-3 feet.  So today I went to make sure my equipment was ready.  I had straight up forgotten about the generator.  After talking with Barry, he pretty much echoed what Dad said; a little ether, drain all the gas, and it will be fine.  Well, when I went to go drain the gas tonight, I realized that I could feel ice in the gas lines, and they were frozen solid in one spot, so the generator isn't going to happen. 

The snowblower was very strange.  I had to lean on the electric start for almost a minute to get it to catch, and even then it was only running at around 20-30 RPM (it should be I am guessing around 3600 according to the internet).  The throttle and choke had no effect, though hitting the primer bulb would nearly kill it.  It was stable though, I could turn on the auger (at those RPMs it would have been worthless) and it would drive without bogging the engine.  After a few minutes of that, roughly when the snow on it started melting, it started to pick up and got up to RPMs fairly quickly and ran fine afterwards, completely normal.  So that is something to think about.

I went to Home Depot to rent a generator (at 2+ feet, I put the odds of my losing power at around 85-90%) but apparently their rental center isn't staffed after 6.  I don't really want to buy one, I have one, but figured for 160 - 200 dollars it was cheap insurance.  Keeping my pipes from freezing and being able to clear the snow are worth that, since based on what is above, it won't start without the electric starter.  I might try again tomorrow.  I want to get it before the storm, even if I have to pay for an extra day, since I am guessing once it hits that generators will become scarce. 

Tomorrow I intend to bring down the kerosene and propane heaters just in case.  I can run the propane one indoors, and remove some skirting (on both sides for proper ventilation) and run the kerosene one to keep the pipes from freezing if I absolutely have to. 

I am considering leaving early tomorrow and trying to fix the snowblower on the tractor, which I have put off for far too long at this point. 

1 comment: