Saturday, October 17, 2020

White surprise.

I came into work today (I am writing this from my desk) since I had some stuff to finish up (and was only a couple hours shy of not needing vacation time for Wednesday and Thursday) and the weather was going to be wet and miserable.  The weather still surprised me though.  I didn't expect to wake up to this.


One silver lining though: it toppled over the knotweed, which hadn't dropped its leaves yet.



I took a shower this morning.  There is no immediate evidence of any further leaks.  There was no fresh water there.  The knot in the board is one of the low spots (a mistake I made when I fiberglassed the floor), and the puddle that is normally there (which I normally squeegee into the drain) was still smaller than expected, so I will definitely keep my eyes peeled.  


With the snow, I went and poked the carport.  The slush was sliding as expected, but more curious was a random puddle in the middle.  


There was no evidence at all of water coming in.  The sawhorses, ladder, and tractor were all dry and had no snow on them.  This used to be a wet spot before I filled it in, apparently water still pools here and seeped up through the fill.  We have gotten inches of rain (and snow) in the last few days, and a couple days prior we had another inch plus of rain.  


No movement on the checklist.  I am only going to work a few hours today, and will probably start on something when I get home.  I apparently need to get a move on even though I am making better progress than in years past.  Mid October is early for snow that sticks.

  • Support the shed (either pilings or add additional bracing)
  • Get windows installed in the shed
  • Paint the carport
  • Re-route the electrical cords
  • Install driveway markers
  • Get chains and a blade
  • Finish moving piles around (gravel and dirt)
  • Grade the driveway
  • Install acrylic and braces in carport.
  • Realign the front door
  • Winterize mowers
  • Shut off hose.

2 comments:

  1. I have a question about the knotweed: Does mowing it every week like grass
    eventually kill it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I had some in the yard itself and it grows faster than the grass, so when I would go to mow I would mow a 8 inch stalk of it while the grass was only taking off an inch or two. It did eventually seem to die off though.

      Delete