Friday, October 16, 2020

Rollers and corrugated steel don't mix.

I took half of Wednesday and all day Thursday off from work since I have a little extra vacation time and wanted to take advantage of the nice weather.  

The first task on Wednesday was the concrete.  I had forgotten how impossible it is to mix concrete in a 5 gallon bucket.  


Despite looking really wet in the bucket, it was because a lot of the bottom wasn't mixed.  Next year I think I will buy a wheelbarrow.  This will probably be the only one I do this year, but if the nice weather holds out I might do a second one.  


I fixed it as best as I could.  It doesn't look nice, but it should be fully saturated and mixed properly.  I hope. It isn't quite Aunt Lisa grade mixed. 


The other task on Wednesday was pressure washing the carport.  It came out pretty nice and shiny . 


It didn't quite get everything off, but the bird droppings and the loose dirt that splashed up on it all came right off.  


That was believed to be the last use for the hose for the year, so I stretched it out and drained it.  Sometimes it is nice to live on a hill.  The hose is now ready for winter.


I was a little surprised at how little water the pressure washing used.  The concrete and pressure washing used less than 15 gallons (it backflushed that morning and the countdown starts at 200)


I also opened up the frost vent on the hose.


The big project for Thursday was painting.  It didn't start well to put it mildly.  Even using a small nap roller since metal is smooth, they still smeared a lot, and it was very slow going because it didn't handle the corrugations well either (even though the roller does actually fit in the valleys.  It was arguably not faster than using a regular paintbrush.  This was as far as I got before I gave up on the roller.  This took me two and a half hours.


I did finish the top and the wood parts so I wouldn't have to spray into the carport, since I didn't empty out the carport first.


I ended up buying a relatively cheap power painter.  


It was expensive (I didn't get the cheapo model because they were universally disappointing in reviews).  But it was worth it.  The rest of the carport is painted.





The finish on it is a lot nicer too.  This is what the finish on the sprayer looked like.


Versus the roller.  


I am not sure about the color.  It didn't look quite that dark in the store (it looked more beige and less brown).  I chose beige because it is a neutral color that would go well with white trim and windows on the house and shed, and the dark green roofing I used on the carport and shed.  


The flat finish did its job though.  it is doesn't reflect much light at all.  


As expected, their claims of a 5 minute cleanup was a lie.  The cleanup took a bit longer than that, close to a half hour, but it saved me a lot more time than that.  The rest of the carport took around an hour to paint.  I ran a little over a gallon through it.


I did run into a lot of the common complaints with the Wagner painters. One of the most frustrating parts was even though I didn't paint into the carport over the top, I did end up with paint spray over the stuff inside.  Including my tractor.  Grrrr.


I had a little free time after that so I went and picked up some free gas cans.  I was mostly interested in the larger one (my 5 gallon can cracked years ago).  I didn't really need the 2.5 gallon can; I have 4 of them now (though 1 is mixed gas).


I also had a little time afterwards so I put up a couple of new hooks in the shed.  The hose is now up and out of the way.


I showered outside yesterday since it was warm out the last couple of days, and I finally got around to resealing the wall and drain.  I used an "advanced" silicone this time that advertised better adhesion.  I also put a much thicker bead on it. 


It started raining last night a lot earlier than expected (it originally wasn't supposed to start until this morning).  I walked around the carport this morning just to make sure none of the paint was running.  It all looked good.  


The support for the shed is almost complete, I just need to block up the new piling.  The carport is painted, and the hose is all done.   

  • Support the shed (either pilings or add additional bracing)
  • Get windows installed in the shed
  • Paint the carport
  • Re-route the electrical cords
  • Install driveway markers
  • Get chains and a blade
  • Finish moving piles around (gravel and dirt)
  • Grade the driveway
  • Install acrylic and braces in carport.
  • Realign the front door
  • Winterize mowers
  • Shut off hose.

3 comments:

  1. oh yes, I thought we taught you how to mix concrete better than that. We shall have to re-teach you, won't we?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. But we do have the wheelbarrows! Very interesting on the paint. Much smoother with the sprayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfortunately don't have a wheelbarrow, and mixing concrete is the only thing I would use it for; I use my tractor for hauling materials around.

      Delete