Monday, October 12, 2020

Nice Autumn weekend.

Saturday I intended to go hiking until I saw cars parked on the road a half mile from the trail head.  The trail at Monadnock isn't a long trail (and has a big parking lot to boot), so that many people means you almost wouldn't be able walk up the trail.  At that point, I turned around and headed for Skatutakee, but I couldn't find the trail head; I haven't been there in a couple of years.  I did have a hitchhiker when I was driving around though.  



It was still a lovely day to be outside.  I did snag a couple of pictures while I was out. 



I went for a walk instead.  Sullivan is a little past peak, but there are still pockets of good foliage around.  



Keene is still in peak.  Despite the abnormally early start to fall, this is right on time; the second week of October is pretty normal for peak foliage.



I didn't do much else on Saturday, which unfortunately bit me on Sunday.  Sunday I started looking at the shed.  It is still a mess.  Apparently the pile fell over making the mess worse.  The pile in the corner is inaccessible too.  Sigh.

I heard the scurry of a fuzzy infestation as well.



After that I went and dug out the next piling.  I didn't have to go far, only a few inches before I hit rock.  I took a wire brush and cleaned the rock, so that hopefully the concrete will adhere to it.



I then built a square to contain the concrete, since the hole isn't deep, the concrete will come up a bit.  



I went to go mix up some concrete, and my concrete bags were hard as... poured concrete.  



While I was looking at it, I am not sure how I am going to fix the support on the middle.  I can't really fit underneath the shed to redo the piling underneath.  The subfloor framing is only 2x6, which is slightly undersized for just ignoring it (a 12 foot span should have a 2x8, which is why the center support is there).  In hindsight, I should have built the shed a lot differently, but I am not going to change that now.  I could just get a 16 foot steel beam or come up with a triple PT 2x6/2x8 support beam so that I don't have to use the piling under the middle.  Either way, the 2x6 joists won't collapse if the support should fail and I don't intend to do anything about it this year. 



I went and picked up more bags of concrete.  Home Depot was mobbed and it took forever to get through there.  Apparently there was a run on concrete, so I got the regular 80lb bags (they were out of the smaller fast-set bags I normally buy).  Looking at the temperature in my truck on the way home though, it never got as warm on Sunday as it was supposed to, so I elected to wait for warmer weather to mix them.  

Instead I started putting up some organization in the carport so it doesn't become a giant pile of disaster like the shed is.  I miscounted when I bought the tool hooks; I am a couple short.  I don't have a spot for the pick, but oh well.   I have enough space to put another small lumber rack.  



I also put up some racks for longer lumber.  I think I might get another set so I can put one in the middle, since this is intended to be holding scrap/spare lumber, and the racks are 80" apart which is good for 8' boards, but bad for 4' scraps. 


The bike is hung too now.

The carport is getting full, but is more organized now.  The sawhorses in the back corner are free so I have a place to work on stuff now.


With all my tools hung in the shed, the little outdoor storage thing I got from Greg is now empty.  I used to store my various cans and commonly used tools for it.  I moved it over behind the carport for now, but I might see if anyone wants it, or I might repurpose it for something.

The slab is pretty close to cleared off at this point.


I also went and fixed another leak in my shower last night.  I am a little disappointed; this is the third silicone failure I have seen in the house (the kitchen sink, the toilet, and now this).  It really makes me wonder if something like the floor drain seal is broken which wouldn't be readily visible until well after large amounts of water had leaked.  I might redo that as well, just in case.  All in all, I have been very disappointed with the adhering properties of my silicone.



Not much movement on the checklist, though the shed pilings are now underway.  I am taking a couple days off this week when it is supposed to be warm enough to paint and finish up the concrete.

  • Support the shed (either pilings or add additional bracing)
  • Get windows installed in the shed
  • Paint the carport
  • Re-route the electrical cords
  • Install driveway markers
  • Get chains and a blade
  • Finish moving piles around (gravel and dirt)
  • Grade the driveway
  • Install acrylic and braces in carport.
  • Realign the front door
  • Winterize mowers
  • Shut off hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment