Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Dismal failure.

We got our first major snowfall the other day.  It is still early in the winter, so it is still in the pretty stage.


I went up to plow it today, and the signs were there immediately.  It took me several minutes to get the tractor to start and run and stay running.  I managed to get the slab cleared though.  I was having traction issues, but with the chains it never stopped moving.


Then I made the mistake of going down the hill.  I had plenty of power, even with the snow piled up over top of the plow it was pushing it in third gear no problem, but I quickly found out that I can't steer when it is this deep.  To boot, I wasn't able to back up either.  So the tractor is now sitting in the middle of the driveway.  I will have to borrow Greg's snowblower this weekend and dig it out.


After talking with dad and Aunt I think I am going to take the truck down for Christmas and swap my tractor for his 4 wheeler.  He has plowed a foot, and it is a 4 wheel drive.  His driveway is flat, the tractor will push whatever he puts in front it.  My biggest problems thus far have been traction on the hill.  The tractor is only a one wheel drive, it doesn't have a locking differential.  The tractor will do his driveway just fine no matter what they get.  On mine it is limited to a few inches because of the slope and getting stuck.  The hill won't bother the 4 wheeler though.  And if he gets gravel in the spring, it is a dozer blade, he can use it to spread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment