Saturday, April 16, 2016

Progress at a cost

I had a rough start to this weekend.  I ended prematurely on Friday because I apparently thought my finger needed some ventilation.  My hand slipped right as I pulled the trigger on the air nailer, and I ended up with a hole in my finger.  It didn't hurt (I apparently whacked the nerves in the finger) but blood pouring down my hand seemed like a bad idea, so I called it a night.

While it hurt more today than yesterday, it looks much better, though the finger is noticeably swollen, so I wore a glove all day when I was working.  After cleaning it out again today, it doesn't look bad at all.


Then just to continue the run of bad luck, the wind blew my hat off the block I set it on.  Despite the hat being cushy, and the only thing in the hat with the camera was my wallet, nothing hard, my camera finally decided to die.  The camera does still work, but without the LCD, I am pretty much shooting blind, so I apologize if my pictures the next few days are not well photographed.


Despite all the setbacks though, I did make some progress today.  The loft supports are installed, as is the flooring.  The supports are conveniently located at the edges of the flooring for the plywood.


I still sometimes have trouble nailing in a straight line.  When I work on the trailer, I will have to mark the lines to nail on.


The loft isn't technically complete, there is still a little bit at the edge.  Unfortunately, since the supports aren't all square, it will be an odd piece, and I might have to put in another 2x6 joist to support it.  I fixed the square issue on one end because I saw it in time, but didn't catch this side until it was too late.


I also borrowed a bottle jack and fixed the center support, so the floor framing is now sitting on the center 4x4 again.  I intend to take the large piles of blocks and actually pour concrete pilings for them.

Lifting up the beam.


The front fixed.  The floor creaks a bit less now when you step in, since it is actually supported.

2 comments:

  1. Did you put a nail through the finger, or just put a hole in it somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not completely through, it only penetrated about quarter to half an inch. not enough to damage the bone, but enough to bleed a lot and kill the nerve endings

      Delete