Saturday, April 23, 2016

Long painful day

Tim came up to take care of the trees that were leaning towards the shed.  Let's just say things didn't go as planned.  They didn't seem to want to fall where he was trying to put them.  There were a few casualties, but thankfully the shed is strong.  Unfortunately my camera was acting up and I haven't gotten the new one yet, so I will try to get some better pictures tomorrow.

There is a pile of debris on one side.  The pile in the back is much bigger but none of the pictures came out.


This was the tree that caused the most pain.  He took the limbs off first, which fell into the shed.  When he went to take the top part of the trunk down, he tried to push it away from the shed, but it wasn't having any of that.  The main part of the trunk came down on the shed as well, and did some damage.  It hit the drum I had up there (thankfully), but snapped the 2x4 that was holding up the tarp, putting the end of it through the floor, so I will need to replace a small section of flooring.  Unfortunately even hiding behind the ladder, I got hit with it as well.


The busted floor.  It is near the end, so it shouldn't be too bad to fix.


The damage to me wasn't too bad.  It sprained (I am guessing, nothing was broken) my wrist, and dinged up my legs.  I will find out tomorrow if the kneecap is bruised.  Fortunately though nothing is broken and I am a quick healer.




We also took down the pine tree behind the shed.  This was supposed to fall away from the shed, but it had other ideas and fell directly into the wall.  Thankfully the drum took the hit and all that was damaged was a little bit of siding.


The drum took its beating like a boss, and quite likely saved the wall and loft.  It took the brunt of the impact from the trunk, two of the limbs (these limbs were around 4-6" diameter and maybe 10-20' long), and also the entire pine tree that we took down.  The pine tree was the dead one behind the shed.  It fell directly on the wall, pivoted and hammered the drum.  So it is the hero of the day.


One of the branches took out my el cheapo sawhorses.


Despite all this, some good did come from the day.  I went and picked up the trailer today.  It is a 1977 Holiday Rambler.  It made it all the way without issue despite the tires being dryrotted.


Considering I didn't have the trailer brakes (my truck has a flat four, I used some magnetic trailer lights) nor the stabilizer on it, it towed pretty well.  In a couple of the windy spots I got a little nervous with the trailer swaying back and forth, but overall it was pretty smooth.  I definitely put all 305 horses to work today, and am happy that I got the big V8.  Even though the trailer completely bottomed out my suspension, I had no problems maintaining speed.






It was a bit of a chore getting it off the truck though.  The bottle jack didn't have enough lift to get the trailer off the truck, so I had to jack it up a few inches, block it, reset the jack, and so on.  As I was doing this though I noticed that the trailer is apparently heavy enough to break a concrete block.  It is hard to see because the picture sucks, but the concrete block broke in half.


But the trailer is now on the slab and on blocks.


4 comments:

  1. guess you might take tomorrow off to rest and heal up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, i still need to get the tarp and everything set back up, so i can't take the day off, but progress will be slow with the sprained wrist, and i don't intend to do too much today.

      Delete
  2. Having a hard time with the camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. If you saw a few posts ago, the LCD on my camera got whacked, so I am shooting blind. Apparently at some it looks like I bumped up the exposure adjustment, though i don't remember doing it, and since i had no preview, I just kept on shooting, blissfully unaware. As for the black bars, that is a long standing issue with the camera. The guard in front of the lens doesn't work correctly. Usually I check it, but yesterday I only checked it the first time I turned it on, and well it didn't work right the other times. The new camera should be here soon. It is one of Matt's spares.

      Delete