Friday, April 5, 2024

Snow snow go away.

My power went out Wednesday night.  I discovered something interesting and kind of annoying about my Jackery.  I checked the Jackery before the storm, and it said it was at 91%, so I didn't bother to plug it in or anything.  The power goes out, I plug my internet and laptop (and later on my fridge) into it and bam! 56%.  It might have cached the value or something (these things leak charge over time a bit faster than a regular battery which is understandable), but definitely something to remember going forward.


The official measurement was 16", I measured 12", but the ground is thawed so my measurement might have had some melting already.  This snow was obnoxiously wet.


Since my heat pumps require power, as does the gas furnace that the house came with, I currently have no heat.  So I went old school, and just used my stove.  The air in the house has been really dry all winter, so I am not too worried about introducing large amounts of humidity.  


I made some tortellini lasagna soup for dinner the night before the storm hit, and it was a good thing I was lazy and didn't put it away; it made it easier to reheat.  I can run the microwave on the Jackery though, it just would have meant pulling it out, finding a place near the Jackery to put the microwave, and so on, which would have been a bit of a pain.  


The addition of the humidity made the temperature monitor I got for Christmas happy for the first time since I put it up.  It doesn't seem to care about the inside temperature, only humidity.  Quality.


After work, I got everything cleaned up.  Even my tractor snowblower struggled with it.  The bank at the end of the road bogged the tractor, and it struggled to cut through it, it kept riding up then falling through, so my driveway is terrible.  My new park pass did arrive yesterday though.  


I went into work in the evening to charge up the Jackery so I could put a space heater on it and kill it again, and it was dark before I got back.  


I had picked up a bunch of little LED candle things a while back, and they aren't terribly bright.  My one portable floodlight put out more than all of them put together.  Oh well.  They put out enough that I can at least navigate the house without smashing my foot.



I got another couple inches last night, and it was a bit chilly this morning, but hopefully my power will be coming back on soon.  



Current To-do:
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire.
    • Install whole house filter.
    • Refurb cap
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room.
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Back yard drainage.  Complete Mortgage.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment