Monday, April 22, 2024

Chipper lives, armoire first round cut.

I went out for a walk on Friday after I wrote the last post.  It was nice, everything is in bloom.


After work, I went and picked up some TV tables.  I was intending to bring them down for Jess and Heather, but I think I might keep these.  They are nice and match the aesthetics of my house very nicely.  


Saturday got a late start because of rain, but I did start getting the boards shaved down for the cap.  I shaved my 2x3s down to 1x2 actual size.  Mostly so they fit better.  Pro tip though, running the planer on the tailgate of the truck was a mistake.  


I ended up fishing my big sawhorses out of the back yard (thankfully without sinking into the swamp), and putting a pallet across them.  It worked better than expected, and eliminates the possibility of the planer flinging something through the side of my truck, which would make me rather sad.



I then needed to clear out from underneath the cap.  The main thing under there was the chipper.  So I put the oil in and got it fired up.  It lives.  This is the first branch ever run through it.  It was close to the limit of the chipper, around 2.5".  It bogged a bit more than I would have liked (I worry about 3" actual stuff), but it handled it just fine.    


It made a big mess though. When I ran a few more I put a bin to "catch" the chips and it still made a mess.  Oh well.  


I ran a handful of sticks through it, and then parts started falling off.  Not a great start for DR.  


I managed to find both nuts thankfully (and surprisingly to be honest).  They are nylon lock nuts, but there are no threads cut into the nylon, so it wasn't installed properly at the factory.  Easy enough to fix though.


My work outdoors got cut short courtesy of a large green blob headed right for me on the radar.  


I went and grabbed pizza for dinner.  I didn't set a record for number of miles on a tank, but this is really close, and if I ran it all the way down (I still had a few gallons left), it would have, the gas light wasn't on yet when I filled it up.


Sunday was kind of a lazy day.  It was surprisingly chilly, but I still got a few things done.  I went and picked up some cabinets for Jess and Heather, and when I got back I got the cap marked and ready to drill.  Apparently I left all my roofing screws (I want screws with gaskets) in KY though, so I will need to pick up some more.


I also went and got the board I had marked all cut up.  



This is the back panel, so it is roughly the size that the armoire will be, and this is roughly where it will live longer term.  


I haven't marked the other panel yet.  Dad reminded me though that I never got the power auger fixed.  He wanted me to bring it to Barry to see if he had a replacement carburetor.  So I disassembled it.


It clearly had a leak, but it wasn't from the carb.  It looks like the o-ring on the bottom of the air intake. 


 Current To-do:
  • Design deck
  • Build deck
  • Build armoire.
  • Install whole house filter.
  • Refurb cap
  • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • Back yard drainage.
  • Insulate the water lines
  • Take scrap metal to Buffum
  • Close up tiny home.  Seal up plumbing.
  • Storm doors

1 comment: