Thursday, June 30, 2022

Truck Update

I haven't done anything of note this week, I have been enjoying the nice weather and putting some miles on my bike.  Last weekend brought into focus that we are now in the hot part of the summer.  

I did just get an update on my truck.  It is now built and in QA.  I have the window sticker now.  You should be able to blow it up.  The EPA rating is confirmed to be 17/23, which will be nice.  I average around 13/18mpg (its EPA is 14/19mpg) in the Tundra.  

I also poked around their online customer guide, and thankfully it rendered the truck with what appears to be an 8' box.  The standard box the rear axle is in the dead center of the box.  Most of the stuff from Ford was just a generic picture of an F-150 with a standard box on it, which made me nervous.  I would not have been pleased if I waited for 4 months and then they sent me the wrong truck.  Nowhere on any document does it say 8' box, it just gives you a wheelbase number which doesn't mean anything to me.


No movement on the list.  I have done some thinking and playing around with how to live in the place while I am building it, and so far haven't come up with much.  I have come up with a solution I don't really like much for the plumbing though: The portable toilet and put a utility sink with an AAV (air admittance valve) for the vent.  The AAV should allow me to get away with not having the vent stack in place, is easy to install, and in a pinch will work for a bit.  Put a wye with a screw cap on it so I have a way to empty the portable toilet, and that covers the basics.  I am not fond of having no plumbing in the kitchen, but I lived in the tiny home for several months before I even had counters, much less a working sink.  Likewise as long as I can get a few circuits installed in the garage portion I will have power.  I will need those circuits before I can live in the garage since I will obviously need the water pump.  I don't really need more than a couple of circuits for short term.  If I get the place put up in the spring, a couple of extension cords would be enough to hold me over until winter.  I was originally planning on building a structure in the garage, but I don't really think that is necessary.  The floor will be really cold in the winter (it will be effectively uninsulated), but I think with a couple of space heaters and the heat pump (which I can install in a window) I should be ok.  This reduces the amount I would need to build while living in a hotel or camper before I could move into the garage.  Any way you cut it I will need something temporary and portable for a couple of weeks though, maybe a month at the most.

Summer projects:
  • Prep truck for trade in
  • Determine house plans (modular vs mobile vs stick)
  • Get my power service upgraded
  • Shed floor
  • Shed doors
  • Concrete shed supports
  • Anti-mouse the shed (seal it, maybe spray with pepper spray or something)
  • Eliminate pile of crap in the back yard.  
  • Level the yard.
  • Investigate retaining wall construction. 
  • Install windows in the shed.
  • Fix/sell the utility trailer.
  • Driveway round 5
  • Get building permit
  • Determine the future method of travel.  Build prototype?
  • Come up with garage plans
  • Clear walking trails on lot.  
  • Build a bridge over the creek

3 comments:

  1. your truck has a 163 inch wheelbase. For comparison, my old Ford had a 117

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I just can't tell from the number if that means a 8' box extended cab, or a crew cab and standard box. I am sure there are people who can, I am just not among them.

      Delete
    2. For reference, Edmunds claims my toyota is a 146" and your chevy is 144"

      Delete