Monday, June 20, 2022

Busy cool weekend.

The big task Friday was to get the new house cost analysis done.  I got rough (and I really do mean rough) numbers in the spreadsheet.  In general, the way I picked the numbers was an average of the mid-range cost on Home Depot's website.  So the estimate should be high.  The spreadsheet can be found here:

Despite coming in at the same price as the mobile home, there are several things that should be noted:
  1. This comes with everything that I want.  That means I won't be spending the next ten years replacing the faucets and stuff like that with ones that don't suck
  2. This includes AC.  The mobile home doesn't, and I would still have to pay about $15k to get a central air unit installed.
  3. This price includes things like quartz countertops, and could be eliminated (or postponed) if I start to have cash flow problems, since the second 80k I would be paying as I went.  
  4. This includes a garage.  The mobile home I would be building a detached garage down at the bottom of the hill, which wouldn't be included in the mobile home costs.  With this plan, I get the garage included in the cost, and is where I want it.  In general I think detached garages are nearly useless.  
  5. This is a proper home and will appreciate with time.  Mobile homes don't appreciate except during housing bubbles.  In general, they tend to stay flat and once they hit a certain age they can depreciate.
  6. Something else that might be possible if I go this route, I can just pay cash for the truck since I can save enough in the next year to have a $20k down payment, and just do the house next year.  The mortgage will only be between $80k and $100k, so $20k should be sufficient.  I really like this idea, since car loan rates have been climbing rapidly, and it gives the housing market a little time to settle; it has already started to cool in NH.
Looking at the options, going with the route where I build it is growing on me a bit.  I wouldn't call it the front runner yet, the prospect of it consuming several years is still very daunting.  Technically my variance is already expired (it expired in either April or May), so waiting another year for the house carries risk of the town giving me grief, but they haven't said anything yet.  I think as long as I have plans and submit them next year for approval, I don't foresee any issues.

When I went shopping on Friday, I got to watch a pretty sunset. while I contemplated.

When I went outside Saturday morning, I scared away some deer in the backyard, a mama and her faun.  I wasn't quick enough to get a picture though.  Saturday started with my typical weed killing chore.  There were only a few dozen new stalks this time.  I had enough leftover after finishing up the side that I was able to spray down by the road.  I only do enough there to make sure that I can see to pull out of my driveway.

I also noticed the well drain pipe was plugged up again.  This time I punched a hole clear through all the screens.  It won't get plugged again.

After that it was time to work on the trailer.  The trailer is ready to sell (though I forgot to take pictures for the ad).  I got the last bit of repainting done and got the board ties done.  Though not in this picture, the trailer jack is reinstalled as well.

The back was a real pain.  Because I put the new decking on two years ago (and the board I was using was purchased at that time) everything was badly warped.  I managed to pull most of it out by clamping the boards to the frame using another piece of scrap.  The piece I was adding I just pulled out the warp with the screws.  I also had to trim the boards, since they had all shrunk to different lengths (PT wood tends to be very wet when purchased).  I made a cut with the circular saw set to 1.5" deep and finished lopping it off with the reciprocating saw where necessary.  I nicked the frame a couple of times though, so I put down a couple fresh coats of paint.  

I had a casualty.  I was using the mallet to knock off the little pieces.

The back is done.  They can also use this board to attach a ramp if they want.  I never bothered since I have ramps.

I also apparently forgot to reattach the wiring underneath when I redid the decking.  That is done too now.

While the paint was drying on the back of the trailer, I decided to clean the floor mats in my truck.  They don't look great, but they aren't a mud cake anymore.

After that was all done, it looked like it was going to rain, so I called it a night. Sunday was bed removal day.  Other than being windy, it was a beautiful day, mostly sunny, low 60s.  I started by creating some shelving to make up for the lost space from the underside of the bed frame.  I didn't have enough of the unfinished boards, but still had a couple of the black ones in the shed, so I cut it down to size.  It is pretty easy with a table saw.  

Somebody didn't measure though, and they won't both fit.  Oops.  I assumed since together they were still a foot shorter than the bed that they would fit.  I was wrong.  Oh well, I will put the spare one in the carport most likely.  

Here is a before and after picture.  I had already started to remove the cargo netting prior to the before picture, but you still get the idea.  The shallow shelf is a piece of leftover flooring I trimmed down.  I wanted something shallow so I don't wonk my head if I sleep on the wall side of the bed.


The mattress.  It has a big dip in it now (in the middle), and you can feel the springs if you try to move around at the edges of the dip.  Since the mattress can't be flipped, it got replaced.  All in all though, 10 years out of a sub-300 dollar mattress is nothing to complain about.  I bought this mattress shortly after I moved to Syracuse back in 2011.  

After calling home for father's day, I went and disassembled everything to reclaim the wood.  Hardwood plywood is quite pretty.  I don't recall if this is beech or birch though, and I am not well versed enough to know by looking at it.  

A big pile of lumber.  I haven't had to buy lumber for a while, and this will hopefully help continue that trend, though I only have a single piece of PT lumber left.

Bird update: they are getting big, and I expect they will be leaving the nest soon, they already have their feathers.  They have pooped all over the side of my carport.




All that is left for the trailer is to sell it.  I will take pictures for the ad tonight.  I intended to last night but forgot.  The bedroom upgrade wasn't on the list.  

Summer projects:
  • Prep truck for trade in
  • Determine house plans (modular vs mobile vs stick)
  • Get my power service upgraded
  • Shed floor
  • Shed doors
  • Concrete shed supports
  • Anti-mouse the shed (seal it, maybe spray with pepper spray or something)
  • Eliminate pile of crap in the back yard.  
  • Level the side yard.  
  • Investigate retaining wall construction. 
  • Install windows in the shed.
  • Fix/sell the utility trailer.
  • Driveway round 5
  • Get building permit
  • Determine the future method of travel.  Build prototype?
  • Come up with garage plans
  • Clear walking trails on lot.  
  • Build a bridge over the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment