Friday, June 3, 2022

Reinforcements have arrived.

I went to mow on Tuesday, and my push mower did its normal run for five minutes and quit.  The difference this time though was it didn't restart.  So I got it pulled apart, and it turns out the issue is in the fuel system, it works fine if I manually feed it ether.  Time to dump the gas tank and start checking fuel lines and all that.


That pushed up the timetable for me buying another lawn tractor.  This one is a Troy Bilt 42" hydro drive.  It is weird to drive, since the hydro has a lever for forward and backwards, and the pedals are weird.  It also doesn't have brakes; it uses the transmission to stop it (and it actually does, even on hills).  It cost more than I was hoping at $475 (I was looking in the $300 range waiting for a deal to show up) but since the push mower is out of commission and my grass was already knee deep, I decided to pounce. I also used my utility trailer for the first time in about a year.


The grass needed it badly.  


I got home from picking it up with just enough light to get most of the front mowed.  It didn't have any problems going up the hills, the only problem with slopes I had was that it has no handles so I was constantly sliding off the seat when I was on side slopes.  It certainly has no shortage of power, it flung it further than the Craftsman and Cub despite how tall the grass was, and I was mowing at full speed.  It bogged the 20HP (yes, 20HP) Kohler a little, but not bad.  For reference, it has the same size deck as my old Craftsman at 42" and the Craftsman only had a 14HP engine.

The futon is ordered and is on its way.  I also got my bike back from being fixed this week, but none of those things were on the list.

Summer projects:
  • Prep truck for trade in
  • Determine house plans (modular vs mobile vs stick)
  • Get my power service upgraded
  • Shed floor
  • Shed doors
  • Concrete shed supports
  • Anti-mouse the shed (seal it, maybe spray with pepper spray or something)
  • Eliminate pile of crap in the back yard.  
  • Level the side yard.  
  • Investigate retaining wall construction. 
  • Install windows in the shed.
  • Fix/sell the utility trailer.
  • Driveway round 5
  • Get building permit
  • Determine the future method of travel.  Build prototype?
  • Come up with garage plans
  • Clear walking trails on lot.  
  • Build a bridge over the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment