Thursday, June 16, 2022

More house plans.

I spent the last couple of days working out floorplans for the shell plan, since I need to know what is in the place before I can estimate a cost.  I spent most of Tuesday evening trying to come up with a 3BR floorplan, but never got one that I liked.  Even with no utilities (which would be in the garage) I just couldn't get the rooms to fit.  It was too square and too small.  

Last night I gave up and worked on a 2BR design.  This one isn't bad.  I might finagle a bit with the master bath and closet around the staircase, but it is close enough to do cost estimates on.  The floorplan looks huge, but based on the numbers, I think that is because I am coming from a tiny home.  I was surprised how small some of the mobile homes I walked around at FineLine homes felt (they had two of them set up as floor models), and this is smaller than those.  This plan does have a large master bedroom (at least for now, it might change if I move the bath and stuff around), and a bigger kitchen.  The island is eat in.  I like the extra closets.  I haven't added windows or a back door yet (probably will go in the dining area).  I also have walk-in closets for both rooms.  I might try to draw this up in sketch-up or something if I go with this option, or at least clean it up a little.


I have begun the cost estimation of how much it would cost to finish the shell into a real house.  That information can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1of4w616ubED7IKwuVprNup7BjnlXKA95wPjGLvukh84/edit?usp=sharing

I expect this will end up as the cheapest option, but I am still on the fence about whether it is feasible.  From a financial standpoint it makes the most sense, not only is it the cheapest option, but it will result in a house that is worth the most.  But it took me a year and a half to build a tiny home.  This would take me several years to complete, and I would have to come up with a way to live in it in the meantime (basically build a small studio thing in the garage) and would still need something while I am building that.  There is no guarantee that I could just park the tiny home in the garage and live in that, it might not fit.  These are all things that I would have to figure out.

I will probably visit LaValley at some point in the near future to get some questions answered and verify my assumptions, like is the staircase configurable for location.  The place comes with 8 windows, are those fixed in location, what kind and size of window are they, and so on.  

No movement on the project list.

Summer projects:
  • Prep truck for trade in
  • Determine house plans (modular vs mobile vs stick)
  • Get my power service upgraded
  • Shed floor
  • Shed doors
  • Concrete shed supports
  • Anti-mouse the shed (seal it, maybe spray with pepper spray or something)
  • Eliminate pile of crap in the back yard.  
  • Level the side yard.  
  • Investigate retaining wall construction. 
  • Install windows in the shed.
  • Fix/sell the utility trailer.
  • Driveway round 5
  • Get building permit
  • Determine the future method of travel.  Build prototype?
  • Come up with garage plans
  • Clear walking trails on lot.  
  • Build a bridge over the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment