Friday, June 24, 2022

Bird update.

I have been doing some thinking as I wait for the email from Ford saying my truck is built, which sadly hasn't come in yet.  I am definitely liking the option where I pay cash for the truck, and get the shell put up next year and I finish it.  I think it is the frontrunner at this point.  It gives a year for prices to stabilize, lumber is still really expensive, and should start coming down soon.  While I don't think the cost of the shell will come down, it will make the rest of the construction cheaper.  And avoiding the skyrocketing interest rates for a car loan is a bonus.

The biggest problem I can foresee is the where do I live while I finish it.  My original thought was just part the tiny home in the garage.  That has a problem though: the tiny home is around 12 feet tall.  That won't fit in a garage.  Two feet of that is the trailer frame, but I can't just dump it off (assuming I figured out how to do that without breaking it) since the plumbing goes below the floor framing.  I would also have to remove the roof (where all the plumbing vents are).  In addition, I would have to put a hole in the garage so that I can vent the plumbing.  That idea is looking less attractive every day, especially since I have to find somewhere to live until I get that all done; plumbing is a requirement.  I could probably get by with one of those portable toilets that I was considering for a back of truck camper, but I will still need water, which means the utility room will also have to be done immediately.  Right now I am leaning more towards building a box in garage (which I can have mostly prefabricated by the time the shell goes up), and then just live in that, though the plumbing is still a problem in that case, but at least an easier one to solve.  It also means doing a bunch of throwaway electrical work for example.  The average garage door opening is too short for a camper; my Dad's camper is 10' tall, which is short for a camper, and is is still 3' taller than your average garage door opening, which is only 7'.  A popup could be an option that I could resell afterwards though.  So this is something to think about at any rate.  I am intending on visiting LaValley today assuming I can pull away from work for a few hours, this is something I might ask about.  Maybe I can put the tiny home on the slab and they can build around it, though I doubt that.  

So that is what has been going through my head the rest of the week.  In other news, the birds got a little bit bigger before they took off.  This was taken on Tuesday.



When I came home yesterday, they were all gone.  The nest was abandoned.


I also saw some turkeys on Wednesday.


The trailer is listed for sale, but hasn't sold yet.  
Summer projects:
  • Prep truck for trade in
  • Determine house plans (modular vs mobile vs stick)
  • Get my power service upgraded
  • Shed floor
  • Shed doors
  • Concrete shed supports
  • Anti-mouse the shed (seal it, maybe spray with pepper spray or something)
  • Eliminate pile of crap in the back yard.  
  • Level the side yard.  
  • Investigate retaining wall construction. 
  • Install windows in the shed.
  • Fix/sell the utility trailer.
  • Driveway round 5
  • Get building permit
  • Determine the future method of travel.  Build prototype?
  • Come up with garage plans
  • Clear walking trails on lot.  
  • Build a bridge over the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment