Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Back from the wedding.

Krass' wedding was a lot of fun.  It was at a really nice venue in lower Manhattan (NYC), right on the East River (I think).  This is a picture from the reception, I spent a bunch of time down by the water.  While I didn't get it in this picture (for whatever reason I didn't take a panorama), the Statue of Liberty was also in the backdrop of the wedding.  I didn't take many pictures; my phone was completely off throughout the ceremony.


The hotel we stayed at almost had an amazing view, if it weren't for a skyscraper right in the middle of it.  I could still see the intersection of the East and Hudson rivers though, and watch the boats go by.


I would also not recommend Men's Wearhouse; that is where we rented the suits from, and there were more issues than successes.  For me, they measured me wrong and my pants were too short (I would guess they measured my pant length from my hips, not my waist but don't know for sure what happened), my jacket was very tight across the shoulders (most are though; I have wide shoulders), but the sleeves were too long (even after I complained about it when I was measured and fitted).  When I first picked up the rental, the pants were missing a button.  They also gave me the wrong size socks (they were size 7-10, and I wear a 13W), which by the end of the night left noticeable dents in my legs. And all things considered, I was reasonably trouble-free compared to some of the other groomsmen and the groom. It wasn't all bad though, the shirt was actually quite nice, and breathed well which was nice given that it was quite warm.  The shoes, while they fit poorly because of my duck feet, looked nice.

One of the gifts from the groom was they gave us all specialized ties to wear. Given my propensity to build things, mine has blueprints on it.


This was also my first Amtrak experience.  The train wasn't bad.  It will probably be my preferred method of getting to the city going forward.  It is nice to be able to go visit Aunt and Uncle, who are conveniently located just minutes away from the Renselaer station so I can get a ride.  The wifi wasn't great.  It was still better than using my cell data which made my phone very confused on the way back (the way back the wifi was broken).  The seats were very spacious, though I didn't find them very comfortable, the angles were not good for me (better than an airline seat though).  It is also nice that you don't have to lose an extra few hours waiting for bureaucratic BS.  I arrived 10 minutes before my train was supposed to leave, and easily made the boarding without rushing.

On the way back, the wifi didn't work, and I sat on the correct side of the train, the side facing the Hudson.  I am mildly curious why a not insignificant amount of the track appears to have been built in the Hudson (water on both sides).  Matt and I theorized it was perhaps due to land acquisition issues, but at any rate, I got to see a gorgeous sunset on the river.





I am peopled out for a bit. My turkeys were back this morning though.  


No movement on the checklist.  If you look at the more broken down task list, I am doing fine, but I won't finish everything I need to before this weekend, so I might have to push out the KY trip at least one week, maybe two.  


2021 Projects:
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Level back yard
  • Level front yard 
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Baffle box
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment