Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Unproductive weekend.

I didn't get as much done over the weekend as I would have liked, but got the next steps taken on the shed floor.  It turned out that Saturday was the only nice day of the weekend, so I went to a cookout.

Didn't really get much done on Sunday.  I didn't wake up early enough to get anything done in the morning, and the afternoon started off with rain, which made me sad since my yard really needs mowing.  I did discover this in my freezer though, which made me a little sad.  I would rather wait until I build the real house to replace appliances.

I got Labor day off too though, and finally got something done.  Despite this.  I got wet.


I picked up one of those portable garages from Harbor Freight to store stuff in while I was working on the shed.  In classic Harbor Freight fashion, the friction(less) fittings didn't work.

With a little tape, the frame went up pretty easily.  

The canvas was annoying to put up.  Thankfully my ladder fits inside.  Barely, and I do mean barely.

I managed to get it all assembled, though it took a lot longer than expected.  It would have been quicker if the instructions hadn't been written by a moron.  They have you assemble the frame then take the bottom half apart to put the canvas on.  I of course taped everything together, so I had to untape and unbolt everything right after putting it all together.  And I had to do all this in the midst of a mosquito genocide.  I must have killed at least 100 mosquitos (literally - I was swatting 3-4 in a single swing) on Monday.  Usually the mosquitos are all but gone by the end of the August, but it has been a strange year.


And to boot, mine came with a broken velcro strap.  I am not returning it for that though.


I had another thought after I had assembled it: the garage I bought was 10x10.  My tent is 9x11, is tall enough to stand in, and would keep rodents and stuff out (it has a floor).  I could easily put a moving blanket down to protect the tent and then have used it instead.  Oh well, I didn't think about it until it was too late.  


I also started building the beam.  I got most of it finished, then ran out of nails.  I would swear I had another tote of them somewhere, but didn't immediately see them, and I had largely run out of motivation by this point.  


I did pick up a thermometer at Harbor freight while I was there to measure the temperature in the freezer.  The package says it works down to -40, but that was clearly a lie.  It is a cheap LCD and it is cold enough in my freezer that I have to warm up the display with my hands to be able to read it.  The coldest I saw was -12.  This picture is at -10 since it took a couple of seconds to get the picture.  It appears that my freezer is fine (below zero is considered good for a freezer), but I will definitely keep an eye on it.  I didn't have any more issues with frost in there, the things that I had cleaned the frost off it hadn't come back.


While a couple of random trees had started changing before I left for Colorado, it is now more pronounced and even some of the trees on my lot are starting to change, so it won't be long until fall is here.  As it is, I probably won't even turn on my AC this week.  Unfortunately my picture came out like crap.

Progress is being made on the shed, but it is still far from complete.  If I am going to use it in October, I am going to need to get cracking on the baffle box and buy a generator too.

2021 Projects:
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Level back yard
  • Level front yard 
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Baffle box
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment