Monday, September 20, 2021

Goodbye boat and other failing shenanigans. Long post.

When I got home Thursday, the dumpster did make it on time.  They actually put the dumpster where I asked them to as well, which doesn't happen often.  


I also got the bathroom floor finished up Friday, and I showered in it over the weekend.  It appears to have worked.  We shall see of the damp subflooring dries out now. 

It isn't clear like advertised, but the fiberglass defects are filled in now.  It seems watertight too.


Saturday was a lot wetter than expected and forecasted.  I did manage to get almost all the other side of the shed cleaned out.  For whatever reason I seemingly forgot to move all the lumber out though.



Here is a better look at the problem.

The portable garage thing wasn't nearly as full as I expected.

After getting rained on for the third time, I gave up on the day.

Sunday I had help, Matt came up to lend a hand.  We started with getting the boat in the dumpster.  My plan worked reasonably well, though it was tricky getting the truck back there to hold the trailer.  I had to move my other utility trailer.  I am tempted to sell it; utility trailer prices are crazy right now, and this is the first time it has moved all year.  I paid $100 for it, have put a few hundred in it, and could probably sell it for close to a grand.  It isn't big enough to haul my tractor, so I need a bigger one anyways.


Me on my tractor.  I haven't played with it nearly enough this year.  I have put less than 10 hours on it this year.  


The tractor couldn't lift the boat as expected, but it could lift the back end up and pull.  Even just lifting the back end though I had to be careful, the boat was easily heavy enough to tip the tractor, and I ended up on two wheels a couple of times.  I wasn't expecting that, but it seems the boat is a bit heavier than I thought it was.  


We ended up using a strap and attached it to the hook on my bucket.  I tried just lifting it with the cutting edge as pointed up as it would go and dragging it off, but the bucket didn't grip the boat well enough.


I ended up not using skids to slide the boat on.  This part of my yard is well drained and was very solid, the boat didn't leave any gouges in the yard.  The tractor did more damage than the boat actually.  The tractor pushed it quite easily.  I had to lift the front of the boat when it got to the dumpster, but otherwise the operation went smoothly.


The boat filled the dumpster a lot more than I thought it would.  I am glad I went up a size from the dumpster I normally get.


The truck left some ruts, but oh well.  It didn't get stuck.  

For now I just put the trailer over by my septic tank. Now that I can see underneath the boat, it is pretty clear the rollers need to be replaced.  The bunks look ok, though they need to be reattached, apparently the previous owner thought that a single 6 penny nail was enough to hold the bunk on.  



We started filling the dumpster until we stopped for lunch.  It turns out that my grill was out of propane which was not terribly surprising, I have been running that tank for at least a year and a half, probably more than 2.  Knowing that, I got my spare tank filled this spring.  Turns out that tank was empty too, so either the valve or the tank leaks.  So no grilling.  This was supposed to be my grill's last hurrah.  Instead its life ended with a whimper.

At that point it was very clear that there was no way to get the entire pile in the dumpster, which was mostly full, so we moved onto the shed.  We slid the beam under the shed, and it was clearly not strong enough, so we added some reinforcement.  I am planning on using the beam after fixing the shed for center support.

Even with the reinforcement, my plan to jack up the shed met with failure.  Most of the joists aren't even touching the board.  It clearly isn't rigid enough for what I had in mind.  Apparently my shed is too much of a porker.  This means I have no choice but to remove the flooring and fix it one joist at a time.  It is kind of odd to see wood flexing in such a nice looking curve though.



Pulling up the floor is something I can do myself and will be very time consuming.  Unlike this corner, I actually used appropriate nails when I put the flooring down.  So we moved on to the siding, the last thing I needed a second person around for.  


I unfortunately didn't grab a picture of it before it was eliminated, but I decided not to do the siding.  The board was badly warped, which isn't a problem, but it was also completely covered in mold and mildew, which is not something that I wanted to trap in the house.  It is annoying too; this board was underneath a tarp and another piece of T1-11 to protect it.  This picture was of the spare board after we chucked them in the dumpster.

So we spent the rest of the time finishing filling the dumpster.  The grill and my patio table (which was damaged last winter and about as stable as a top) got chucked in.  This corner of the slab looks kind of empty now.

This is what is left of the pile in the back.  It doesn't look much different, but my yard is notably larger now.

The dumpster is quite full.

A couple of other odds and ends: it really seems my knotweed has become resilient to chemical warfare.  After a week, made at a much higher concentration than the bottle recommends, it is just now discoloring the leaves.

The new stuff appeared to having a better go at it.  Still not an inspiring performance though.

I also broke my truck cap.  Looks like I will have to drill it out and put in some bolts.  I think I have a rivet gun somewhere, but bolts would be easier.

So this presents an interesting conundrum.  I think I am going to mark the pile in the back as complete, since I won't be doing anything else with it this year.  It will just make another appearance next year.  I think at this point, once I clear out and take down the portable garage thing, I might mark the shed floor as complete.  For now I am just marking the siding as deferred.  At this point, I might not do anything with either of them before winter (other than taking down the temporary garage).  I went all last winter without siding on that wall without issue.  The shed floor might end up being my winter project.  Unfortunate, but that is the way it goes.

2021 Projects:
  • Shed supports
  • Table
  • South wall siding
  • Review options for house (mobile home vs stick built vs modular)
  • Level back yard
  • Level front yard 
  • Remove dead/dying beech trees
  • Eliminate pile of crap in back
  • Camper Power Center (portable AC power source and generator)
  • Baffle box
  • Driveway round three
  • Fix shed floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment