Friday, March 19, 2021

Tractor repaired, window sealed.

This post was intended to be written yesterday, but I was rather busy running around at work.  It was actually kind of refreshing to not be stuck in front of a screen.  

The guy came Tuesday to pick up the tractor.  The guy was nice, and he helped me yank the chain out that had gotten stuck in the grading blade (he needed to turn the blade since it was wider than his trailer).  He jiggled the rear blade a few times and got it pulled out (almost as if he had done that before...).  


Driving away on the tractor.  I was surprised he came to pick up with just a regular pickup and a landscaping trailer.  The tractor probably weighs 3000lbs (the unit is 1800ish, the loader is around 600, the tires are filled adding a couple hundred, and the rear blade is another couple hundred) so his trailer must have been beefier than it looked.  I understand not bringing a big monstrous thing though, especially since most of the towns in the area have already posted 6 ton weight limits on most of their roads.


Wednesday was really nice, so I got home a little early to get the window finished up (yesterday was not nice).  To my surprise the tractor was back in the carport, they were already done.  


They replaced this part, which is the part that looked like the source of the leaks.  This one looks a little different than the old one, so hopefully it is better built.  


It was interesting working on a surely OSHA approved setup.  I mean, what isn't safe about using a step ladder (not a real ladder with feet) leaning up against a wall sitting on snow?  In all seriousness, at some point I probably ought to invest in a real extension ladder though.


The exterior of the window is now sealed in.  In hindsight (I will have to remember this for the other side) - I should have cut the foam off the window and instead filled the gap with expanding foam.  The window had a ring of foam on it like the foam on a really cheap paintbrush.  Because I didn't, there wasn't enough expansion room so I ended up using silicone for the whole thing, and I ran out before I could complete the inside.  The expanding foam insulates better than the cheap foam too, though the insulation factor isn't really relevant to the shed.  


The window is water tight though, even if I completely spaced and forgot to put in the Z flashing.  The silicone will seal it, the Z flashing was just an added layer of protection since T1-11 doesn't typically hold silicone well.  


The path up to the shed is walkable again.  for a while it was rather treacherous because it is a steep slope and was pure ice, but enough has cleared that you can walk on the ground.


We got a bunch of rain yesterday, so my snow coverage is down to around 75%.  

No comments:

Post a Comment