Monday, March 22, 2021

Bike Work

It was a nice weekend.  I started on my spring checklist.  I checked my propane levels, it is still fine.  I don't think I have enough to last until the real house is built though.  


I also removed the weight from the back of my truck.  


Saturday I went to pull out my bike and give it a tune up.  I was sad.  Apparently even though I didn't ride it down in KY (I brought it down when I went down for Thanksgiving), it still somehow got completely coated in salt.  The only thing I can think of is I hit some heavily salted roads on the way home and it was in the back of the truck.  Another reason to get a cap eventually.  



For better or worse, most of the bike is immune to salt.  The frame is a combination of aluminum and carbon fiber.  The cassette and chain however are steel.  It appears that the oiling I did when I got to KY wasn't sufficient to protect it. 

I sprayed a bunch of PB Blaster on it and worked it into the links of the chain a bit and let it sit until Sunday to break everything free.


Sunday morning I went up and finished installing the windows properly.  What a pain.  These are the most obnoxious windows I have ever installed (though to be fair, that isn't a large number).  Only one side lines up well enough to lock, but that is fine.  


Sunday was really warm, so I hooked up my short hose (I couldn't leave it hooked up, it is still too early in the season for that) and hosed down the bike.  


My hose was not fond of the idea.  Looks like this one needs a new gasket.


I also went out and picked up some bike stuff.  I apparently forgot my air pump down in KY (doh!).  It was a crappy one anyways, so I bought a (hopefully) nicer one.  I also got some chain cleaner and actual bike chain oil to hopefully help rehab the rusted chain.  


I spent a while and cleaned the chain and oiled it properly.  Typically all I do for a tune up is spray it with some PB Blaster, fill the tires, adjust the derailleur if necessary and go.  The chain got a lot more special treatment this year.  The oil is recommended to sit in for a day before riding, so I will finish up the adjustments later today.


The chain at least looks a lot nicer.  The cassette will rehab with use.  


I also did some spring cleaning.  I got all the cobwebs out of the house (spider season is almost upon us) and did some laundry.  The clothesline still works fine; winter didn't seem to bother the nylon paracord and it was still taught.  


I also went up and did some cleaning in the shed.  I got the area around the window all cleaned up.


The shed is now reorganized too.  


I noticed this when I was putting some tools away.  I might have to investigate what happened.  It looks like the flooring is gone in the last narrow strip.  The shed is actually 12'3" wide, so there should have been a 3" wide piece butted up against this edge of the plywood, but you can clearly see light coming through so something is not right.  


I wanted to pull the utility trailer out and get it ready to go, but it looks like not enough snow has melted yet.  


The current snow coverage: Keene is at 5%, only large banks still remain.  Sullivan is clearing off nicely though, and is about 50%.


I think it is time I started making this year's project list now that the days are long enough and everything is clearing off.  

3 comments:

  1. you will have to tell me where you got that stuff for the bike chain so I can start working on mine and actually get back to using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from a bike shop (Norm's Bike Shop) but you can find this stuff at places like Dick's Sporting Goods. I primarily went to Norm's because I wanted an air pump that didn't totally suck. I can bring it down if you like, I didn't even use a quarter of it, and like I said, I normally wouldn't clean the chain. This is the kind of stuff the pros use, and I am not entirely sure it was cheaper than just buying a new chain. I took the bike out today thought for a few miles and it worked great though, so the stuff works.

      Delete
  2. The last time I posted a picture of the propane level was on Oct 5th, and it was 62 gallons remaining. I now have 56 gallons (March 22nd). This is 169 days. So I actually should have enough propane to make it through next summer. Assuming I run it down to ~15 gallons, that gives me 7x169 days which is a lot more than two years (actually over three). I mostly didn't want to fill the tanks right before they have to be moved, and it looks like I won't have to.

    ReplyDelete