Monday, March 15, 2021

Shed window kind of installed.

The shed windows is cut out and kind of installed.  It took a little finagling with a combination of my belt sander, hand planer, and reciprocating saw, but I expanded the framing enough so the fit was just tight instead of uncomfortably tight.

After getting that installed, I realized that I didn't know how to put the glass panes back in.  I haven't yet figured out how to get the posts into the weight relief on the sides.  

I tried loosening the screw on the bottom to make it slide, but it is held in on the side as well, so that was a no-go.

I tried just angling the window, but the posts would fall out on the first side inserted before I could get enough angle to get the second side in.    The posts aren't round as well, which means the window has to be upright before it will slide in.  The windows in my house, the posts are round and spring loaded which makes it really easy.  These ones are fastened in and fixed.  For the moment, I have one side installed and just used the stop to keep the window mostly closed.

The reason I didn't continue playing with it on Sunday (I cut everything out on Saturday, and screwed the window into place Sunday morning) is that my work day got cut short because of some unexpected snow.  The way the window is right now will block >90% of the snow.  Since I don't have the glass panels properly installed, I can't just close it and lock it.

It is supposed to start warming up again tomorrow, so I will hopefully get it finished then.  

I have to admit, even with the window in there, it doesn't let in as much light as I had hoped for (and not because the window is really dirty).  Originally I wanted to put one window on the west wall, and the other on the north wall, but I amended that because the windows are very large (I got them for free, so I am not complaining) and putting one in the north wall would go almost literally from the loft all the way to the floor.  So instead I was going to put one on each side (west and east where there is no loft).  I think I will still need a small one for the north though.  Time to start poking around for a small window.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you are more than welcome to come up and put some in. skylights are really obnoxious and a pain to install without leaks.

      Delete