Monday, September 21, 2020

Lazy weekend.

 So I didn't do nearly as much this weekend as I probably should have.  I did finish the mowing Friday.  The back yard was really bad.  It was thigh deep in some spots.


The back is done though.  


I also finished up the front, hitting the spots that I missed when I last mowed before Labor Day.  This will be the last mowing until the leaves fall, so there is only one mowing left.  I might just decommission the lawn tractor (I still haven't fixed it...) until spring at this point, and just set the deck on some sawhorses in the carport or something so I can work on it.


Saturday I intended to start on the back wall for the carport, but I got lazy and went out and played games instead.  I sold my generator, and while I was wheeling it out, I found the old key that I lost for the snowblower.


I rearranged the mess on the slab a little bit to make it nicer, but I apparently didn't take any pictures of it.  

Sunday I finally got my rear in gear and started on the back wall. I am not sure how it happened, but the part on the slab is a board too tall.  It makes me sad since the rest of everything on the carport was done almost perfectly.  So the back wall will not be perfectly level.


I started building the framing. When I kicked on my compressor to nail, apparently the plastic on the gauges broke.  The shaking has been getting steadily worse since it got rained on and blown across the yard a couple years ago.  It might be time to replace it. 


In traditional fashion, at least one nail went completely sideways, and my finger was naturally there.  Grumble.



I didn't make as much progress as I would have like, partially because I didn't really have a plan.  The back wall everything is a different height so I decided to build the box first.  I used leftover furring strips to hold the boards together.  I also made another oops.  I removed the boards on the back that I added to brace it when I was climbing on it, but I forgot to remove the ones on the front, so I ended up two boards short, since I just started using 10' boards when I ran out of 8' boards, but now I am two boards short and they have to be 10' boards since I started at the shorter end.  D'oh!  When I discovered this, I decided that I would get a few extras.  A lot of this wood is horribly twisted, so there are a few boards that I literally had put clamps on and use a Leverage Helper (aka a pipe) to untwist them to get them installed.  Since my noob mistake means I have to go get new boards anyways, I decided I would just replace the remaining twisted ones.  2x4s aren't expensive, and the twisted ones will get used eventually anyways.  


These were supposed to be the shorter studs. 


The annual game of how long until I turn on the heat has begun, we have had hard frost the last few nights and my house hasn't hit 70 in a while.  It is been in the 50s when I wake up many times.  I generally try to at least make October, sometimes November if it is a warm fall, before I turn it on.  More importantly though is that it is no longer warm enough for painting.  I wanted to paint the carport to save my eyes some glare and reflections, and the past week has been too cold for it (or for concrete for that matter since I haven't done the pilings for the shed either yet).  It shouldn't stay this way though, I can see some upper 60s and low 70s in the long term forecast.  


No comments:

Post a Comment