Wednesday, July 15, 2020

New toy.

I badgered Barry enough that I finally got another saw.  This one is a little bit smaller (40cc vs 42cc), but is much newer, and runs good, so I finally have a chainsaw.  He also gave me a spare brand new chain for it so I have a backup.


I haven't gotten to do much other than watch a few storms and rain.  I did get a short break yesterday that I managed to get my bike tuned up and oiled, which is good since the cover for it got shredded.  When I build the run in for the tractor, I will have to make sure that there is a hook for the bike in there.

I also managed to finish the carport based design, mostly so that I would have a more apples to apples comparison for cost.  I just made a grid for the roofing underlay.  I used 2x6 because of the span, but I could probably safely reduce it to 2x4 if I wanted to. 


I did get to Home Depot and get the prices on lumber.  Things are a lot more expensive than I remember.  Excluding the metal roofing which I haven't priced out yet (but all three will require anyways), the gable design comes in the cheapest (I actually expected the shed/single slope roof to be the cheapest).  The difference between them was pretty minimal though, and once I add the cost of the roofing, I expect the gable and shed prices to even out though, since the gable will require ridge caps which the shed roof won't.  Interestingly, they only come in a couple hundred cheaper than the carport based design.  That being said, the wood based sheds are twice the shed of the carport based one, and I could probably cheapen them up a lot by removing things like full sheething for the roof instead of just furring strips, using metal siding instead of OSB and siding (siding costs aren't in the table yet) or T1-11, and so on.  It isn't quite complete yet, I might try to finish it later in the week.


On my way in this morning, I saw some turkeys, both regular and popcorn versions.


I hope to build the carport soon, so I will hopefully get the metal roofing and siding stuff on there soon, though we might possibly have a couple of days without rain, and I have outside projects to work on.

2 comments:

  1. You could send the rain here! We will take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could. We aren't exactly having a wet summer, but the constant drizzles and showers have made working outside rather obnoxious.

      Delete