Monday, July 20, 2020

Another roaster. Driveway done.

I brought out the chainsaw in the morning, even though it was already over 80 by the time I rolled out of bed.  I got some limbing done.  Thankfully there was enough gas and oil in the saw since I haven't bought anything for it yet.  I got the branches that whack me while mowing removed.


I also cleaned out all the crappy shrub stuff around the maple down by the parking spot at the bottom.  I nicked the tree while I was cutting since it cut much faster than I was expecting, but the tree should be ok.




The pile of dirt still wasn't dried out (you can clearly see what is dried), so I continued working with the gravel pile.  The gravel isn't dried out yet either, but doesn't get sticky.


I finished the parking spot as much as I can until the pile is gone. This pretty much means the driveway is done, likely until winter.  If I run out of things to do (hah!) I might put a nicer smoother layer down (so far everything I have done is 1.5", top layers are usually 1/2" or 3/4").


I also took a few buckets worth and finished filling in the hole.


At that point I was well cooked, so I went did some chores inside.  When the sun went behind the trees, I decided to go out and mow.  I haven't fixed the deck (again) yet so I pulled out the pushmower.  I got the far back done before I hit something.


I tilted it forward to check the blades, and there was a piece of metal ducting caught up in the blades.  I cleared it out, and the pushmower started smoking ferociously when I fired it back up.  There was oil everywhere.  It isn't uncommon for them to leak a little oil when tipped, but I have never seen one quite this bad.  It was literally spurting out the muffler.


Even though it started running awful afterwards (I assume the plug got coated) I finished mowing the back with it anyways.  I might pull the plug today and look at it.  Or I might replace it, or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment