Thursday, May 7, 2020

Used tractor investigation

So I went and looked at the used Kubota BX2380.  I confirmed with the salesman that it is 2 years old, has 90 hours on it, comes with the remainder of the original 5 year warranty (between 3 and 4 years).  The $12,500 includes the tires filled and delivery, so it is actually cheaper than the new BX1880 (and 5HP larger).  I don't think I will use the extra power, but it can't hurt to have it.

I also found out that the pictures in the ad were the wrong tractor.  This is the tractor that they were referring to:


I confirmed the stock number of the tractor.  The tractor in the picture was 2 tractors down on their lot.  The camera guy noobed up.


It has the replaceable edge on the bucket.  It also comes with hooks installed in the bucket.


The BX2370 has a lot more of the comfort features that the 1880 didn't, like arm rests.


It also has tilt wheel.


It is the same loader as the BX1880, and has the removable bucket (in case you want to replace it with pallet forks for example).  I don't expect I will ever use it, but it is nice.


The three point hitch looked fine.


It comes with the owners manual.


It has the same hood design.  Because it is bigger, the opened a little bit further.


The engine looks clean.


It also has this thing, which I don't actually know what it does.  Cruise control maybe?


I might remove the slow moving vehicle sign and put a toolbox or something on it.


It also had this rod, which I couldn't figure out what it was.




The tires were in almost new condition.


It isn't big enough to have the skid plates (I think Kubota only puts those on the B series and higher, not the BX models).  There is a little more ground clearance than the BX1880, but still pretty meh for tractors.


The underside is reasonably clean.


So it is decision time.  I think I would take this machine over a new BX1880, it is bigger, will hold its value better, and is cheaper.  The RK would be cheaper, I estimate around $11,500 when you include picking it up and getting the hydraulics installed (which isn't normally included in the cost of a new tractor).  I am assuming there are no taxes in KY, which I haven't verified yet.  There is also a chance I would need to get the tires re-filled with something more cold resistant.  Currently I am leaning towards the Kubota.  If I lived near a RK, it would be a no brainer, but the whole two weekends per single repair really stinks.

UPDATE - they sold this one yesterday, it was actually already sold when I went to look at it, I was too slow.  At this point, it is back to the BX1880 vs the RK.  I am still leaning towards the Kubota, but this was unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment