Friday, May 22, 2020

Trip to KY

There won't be many postings since I am down visiting in KY.  It looks like I will be at least pulling codes on my truck though.  About an hour after I left, A bunch of dummy lights came on all at once.  Another fine feather in the cap to an already disappointing Toyota truck.  Hopefully it is just a wheel sensor or something that went bad.  I was in 2WD, despite the 4LO light blinking rapidly.  There were another couple lights that came on, but didn't stay on.


I did get some sound measurements since the way I go down is I drive until I can't stay awake anymore, then stop and sleep as long as I can in my rather uncomfortable truck, then finish the trip. 

I took some measurements from the edge of the pavement, around ten to fifteen feet away, and an idling semi is far louder than a generator.  I measured the Volvo.


It read between 58 and 65dB.  Which is louder than even the monster generator at full output.  I would still probably put a muffler on the generator, so I will be fine.  There was an even louder semi at the other end of the lot that almost drowned out the Volvo I was standing near.


While I was there, I also decided to speedtest the West Virginia free welcome center wifi.  It was underwhelming.  I had to try the test a couple of times to get it to complete as well. 


It turns out someone else had the same idea too, I am not the only person who will have done it.


The new phone actually performed worse than the G5 as far as coverage down to KY goes though.  The G5 would connect to old HSPA networks which would at least allow me to send SMS and call, but the new phone wouldn't.  So most of West Virginia I don't have cell signal anymore, and large parts of KY.  Something worth considering since I was planning on using a hotspot/tethering as the internet solution in the camper. 

I porked up a software release right before I left as well, so I figured I would try to fix it while I had wifi, and found out that my inverter has apparently died.  Even with the truck running, it wouldn't run the laptop battery while it was charging despite the brick only having a 150W input.  Might be time for a new inverter.


There was some nice scenery though.  I didn't get a picture the awesome view from the top of the mountain, but I did get to see some mountains littered with mist, and it looked pretty cool. 


Since I won't likely post until I return, have a good memorial day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment