Thursday, May 14, 2020

Generator. More text.

So Matt did a cost analysis of using a generator vs solar.  The graphs don't look pretty for solar.  If you just plot the cost of buying and running and maintaining a generator (3k cost, 3$ per gallon at the usage of a Honda EU3000i)  vs the cost of buying the solar, it looks really bad; 600 days of use to break even.  Even if I take two month long trips in it a year, that means 10 years for the solar to pay for itself.


Generators however don't normally last 10 years, so even factoring the cost of replacing the generator every 5000 hours, it still takes 400+ days to break even.


Even if that graph was updated to be the monster 7kW inverter generator from Honda that costs an arm and a leg, it still is cheaper until I have to replace it.


All those graphs assume that the solar equipment won't break as well.  The panels are usually good for 25 years, but the inverters and charger controllers and whatnot are not as reliable.  So the outlook on solar is not so good.  Kudos to Matt for remembering how to use Matlab and doing all the legwork for this.  While I think I am calling Time of Death for the solar idea, I do plan on leaving the roof clear and running extra wiring just in case I want to add it later when solar gets cheaper and more efficient.

Today I mostly just did research on generators.  Just to throw a couple of numbers around: The AC is around 1000W.  My toaster oven is 1400W.  Microwaves are around 1000W.  Add in some miscellaneous usage like the fridge and to run the camper I need around 3000W if I don't run the microwave and toaster oven at the same time.  To run my tiny home, I would need around 4500-5000W (my heat is 3500W by itself, though I could get by with a smaller portable heater for a short duration if need be).  5000W is likely sufficient even when I get the real house as long as I don't go with all electric appliances (which makes me twitch and convulse even just to write that).

There are a couple of approaches I can take (+ = pro, - = con, * = meh):

1. Go with a small generator, something like a 3kW model, get a companion for when I am at a campsite or as the home backup.
   + Plenty of power.  Even a single 3kW will run most of the camper while I am working.
   + The companion (total of 6KW) makes sure I can run everything all at once.
   + 3KW units are very quiet.
   + 6kW with companion (which is 5.2kW continuous) can adequately back up the tiny home.
   + Longest runtime per tank.
   + Units have value as small spot generators in a lean-to for lights and a power tool.
   - No 240V support.  That means no 240V heat pump and water pump as house backup.
        - Tiny home would require re-wiring/special handmade cable for use as home backup.
   - I have two generators to take out and start for home backup.
   - Surprisingly heavy for how small they are (131 lbs)
   - I have two generators to maintain.
   - Getting two of these and the parallel kit is expensive, upwards of 4k.
   * Unclear if this would be adequate for the real house (most likely yes though)
   * Leading candidate: Honda EU3000is
 
2. Go with a monster inverter generator, like the 7KW Honda, and it will be my generator for the camper and the house and for everything including the future full size home.
   + Plenty of power forevermore.
   + Future proof.  I can think of no scenario where this generator will be inadequate.
   + Can do everything.  Only option that gets me 240V
   + Long runtime, large tank.
   + Electric start.
   + Single generator, single cord for all applications.
   - Expensive. The only generator I saw in this range was the 7kW Honda priced at $4450.
   - Heavy (260lb), and hard to put in the back of the truck for trips.
   - Not as quiet as the smaller units, but still under 60dB.
   * Ludicrous overkill for running the camper.
   * Only candidate is the Honda EU7000is

3.  Get some specialized generation for the camper.  ie - 2 of the Champion 2kW cubes.
   + By far the cheapest option. 
        + Even including a larger third non-inverter generator this is still cheaper.
   + The quietest option if I spring the extra cash for the Honda over Champion.
   + One of these should run the AC (as long as I select the smallest split)
        * I would want to double check this.  It will literally run nothing else though.
   + Both will run the whole camper.
   + Small, light, easy to move around.
   + Units have value as small spot generators in a lean-to for lights and a power tool.
   - No 240V support.
        - Tiny home would require re-wiring for use as home backup.
   - Two generators (at least) to maintain.  Eventually 3.
   - Barely adequate to run a small space heater and the fridge in tiny home.
   - Unsuitable for whole home backup.  Would eventually buy another big generator.
        - This means more equipment to store and maintain.
   - Poor runtime, these typically only have a 1G tank on them.
   - The individual pieces don't have 30A plugs.  Would require two different backfeed circuits.
   - Isolating the AC circuit so that I could run only one complicates the electrical design.
   - They would require more complex wiring setups and more equipment when traveling.

Given that list of options, I like the first two the best.  I wish I could hear the 7kW monstrosity run, just to hear how loud it is.  I can see 53dB and 58dB and go that isn't a large difference, but decibels are funny in that they are logarithmic not linear, meaning it isn't 10% louder.  They say a normal conversation is 60dB for reference, but these numbers are also taken at different distances.  Champion for example states that they measure their noise level at 25 feet from the unit.

I have only gone through a couple of places, most notably Amazon and Home Depot, and I might go through Northern at some point, but I think I have a good feel for the market at this point.  If you want quiet, you pony up big bucks for Honda.  Champion and Briggs and Stratton have some offerings, but not a lot.  There is a lot more competition in the 2KW and under space, but that is the option I like the least.  It is a very expensive test as well, unless I want to buy the big one and then just return it if it is too loud.  The results of the generator research are below (I included some Predator models just for sanity checking). Click to enlarge


I also got tired of research (especially since my unlimited data has run out) and whipped up a quick design for a clothesline.  It was nice to pull out paper and pencil again.  It will also be nice to be able to run more than one load a day.  I plan on using PVC for it, 3" trunk and 1.5" branches.  Dad is looking at getting me some dump truck drums.  Looking at the bill of materials for it, it will be more expensive than a cheap fold up one, but unless I am overestimating the rigidity of PVC, should last a lot longer.  I still have a decision to make on the bottom branch.  The all PVC option adds a lot of cost for little benefit (I don't need beefy for hanging socks and underwear on it).  I am also debating whether I really need to put caps on everything.  They aren't expensive, maybe a dollar or two apiece, but 13 of them is a lot, and I am not sure they add any value.  I will probably have a drain hole near the concrete base anyways.  They would make it look nicer though.


No comments:

Post a Comment