Monday, March 23, 2020

Fun weekend

So I broke quarantine and visited Matt, Stefan and Ryan, had a bit of fun and updated my movie collection just in case NH does a full quarantine.  I also helped Stefan make a new bracket for his 3-d printer, and when we went out to get some aluminum for it, I noticed that when my truck slid down the hill a few weeks ago, it apparently didn't get out unscathed like I originally thought.  The bumper took a beating.  The good news is that I will have to replace the bumper in another year or two anyways since it is rotting out.


I also played around and looked at campers online (like from Jayco, Rockwood, and Kodiak) and found a couple of floorplans I like from Jayco, but all the manufacturers had significant problems.  Jayco had nice floorplans, but three major flaws: their first acceptable floorplan was a 19 footer and weighed 3200 lbs, meaning SUV or truck would have to tow it.  That isn't a dealbreaker though.  The second issue was that they only pack in 20 gallon water tanks.  That is a dealbreaker.  The third problem was that the 19' model I liked was 26 thousand dollars.  Considering I will have to add 10k of electrical enhancements to it, that is also a dealbreaker. Rockwood didn't have floorplans I liked until you got up well over 20 feet.  Their tanks were large enough.  They were cheaper than the Jayco's, but not enough to consider it.  I didn't like any of the Kodiak designs.  So I do think building it myself is the best option.  I have settled in on a 7x12 size.  If I get 7x14 trailer, then that is a bonus, but I wanted to plan for the smaller and I can happily extend the floorplan if I go larger.

I did a few more concepts.  I am liking the idea of using an island for the extra counter space, and a portable desk.  I have found a few folding monitor mounts so I could in theory slide it under the bed when traveling or not in use, and take it out and hook it up when I was working on something.







I also worked on a design for the entertainment center.  This might be built reasonably soon.  The biggest bummer is that it requires I build my new computer, since my current tower won't fit.  I have been procrastinating on that anyways, but this design the vertical shelf isn't big enough for both my receiver and the tower I currently have.  The nice thing about this design is that it means I can use one of my comfy rolling chairs with the desk, I don't have to sit on the couch.  Couch is comfy for some things, but isn't great for working on the computer.  You sink into it too much.


I also picked up curtains when I went shopping.  I now have real curtains. behind the TV and on the big window at the end. 


The smaller ones cam with those small useless things, which I put one over the kitchen, and the other will go on the door when I get around to putting a bracket up for it.  I have a curtain for the utility room, but realized that I am a support brace short from installing it. 


I was also treated to a surprised when I looked at the weather.  The rain we were supposed to get tonight has turned into snow, and a lot of it.  We are now slated to get 6-10 inches this afternoon and tonight.  I have unfortunately already pulled up the driveway markers, and the first thaw left large ruts in the driveway again, so it will interesting trying to clear it.  And we are supposed to get another 3-5 on Wednesday, so if I don't clear it, it won't melt off before we get more.  Good thing I haven't put the snowblower away yet.  I had intended to put stabilizer in it and run it out of gas, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment