Sunday, March 8, 2020

Deacon's Chair mostly built.

So I went out Saturday and bought the wood for the chair.  I got all the big pieces cut on Saturday, despite it being chilly outside. It was up in the 30s, but there was a pretty stout wind, which also has the side effect of blowing sawdust in your eyes (always, doesn't matter which direction it is blowing). 


I also discovered that the sizes on the 1x18 and 1x24 laminated boards from Home Depot are at best suggestions.  These were both 1x18, but the wider piece was leftover from when I built the closet.


I got most of the larger pieces cut, and then decided to take the car our for an extended drive, trying to get the check engine light turned off, last year it would frequently go out if I drove the car for more than 2 or 3 hours.  I didn't have any luck though. 

After I got home, I started putting it together.  I wimped out and used staples.  They look kinda crummy, but it saved me an entire day of pegs and gluing.  As a result I got most of it assembled Saturday night. 


This morning I started off by putting wheels on it.


I also got the bottom of the drawer put in. and it is almost complete.  I don't have enough clamps to do all the gluing at once, so I have one armrest support drying now, and will put on the other tomorrow, then the 1x4 for the armrest gets glued on top.  These are the only pieces I am gluing because I don't want errant staples and whatnot snagging my sides when I am sitting in it.  This way the seat and back that you sit at are completely free and clear of fasteners.


The drawer is nice and roomy.  I have enough space on the bottom shelf for flip flops, my slip on shoes, and maybe slippers.  It is too short for boots. 


After the armrests are installed I will install the boot holders.  They will look something like this when it is done.  The tall ones are for my rubber boots, and pack boots in the winter.  I stole the idea from the boot rack on my parent's porch. 



This should allow me to completely clean up the area by the couch, and gives me a second chair for when I have company without having to sit on the couch.

I also picked up the stuff to store the snowblower, and some more mechanic in a bottle stuff to try to get the mowers to run.  I don't expect to use them anytime soon, but I tried to start the pushmower today, and it wouldn't run.  I didn't try the tractor, but it ran several times over the winter, so I am not too worried about it starting. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice chair! I may have to have you make me one when I get my own place!

    ReplyDelete