Thursday, January 4, 2018

Did somebody order some snow with their cold?

Apparently the cold wasn't enough.  We were supposed to get a storm, one comparable to Sandy a few years back was hitting the coast.  I am several hours inland from the coast though, so I wasn't supposed to get too much.  The forecast however was very wrong.

Because of the forecast though, I decided to take the car.  It has good snow tires on it, I didn't foresee any problems.  It was warm (well, it was above 0 at any rate) so I wasn't worried about the car being able to start.  The drive home was pretty scary.  I left early (around 3ish) and my normal 10-15 minute drive took almost 45 minutes.  The wind was howling, when gusts came along, the car kind of drifted on its own, and trying to compensate often didn't work (the car wouldn't steer when it was getting blown around).  Thankfully most people were not on the roads.  I also found out that they hadn't plowed Denman Thompson road in many hours, which was interesting.  The car scraped most of the way down the road, but I punched it on the down hill at the beginning of the road and managed to float all the way to the other end.  Fortunately I didn't have to stop at the stop sign.

The driveway at the apartment was another adventure.  It hadn't been touched.  The bank at the end of the road was over my hood, and it was up to the bumper the whole ride.  I ended up plowing the whole way in.  I actually thought I would get stuck, but the tires kept me moving so I kept them spinning.  I lowered the exposure to try to prevent the white from bleaching/washing out the picture.  It looks like I went too far, but you can see that I was plowing a bit.  I am not sure how, but it made it home without issue.  Kudos to the car, and especially my nice Cooper tires.


Apparently I don't really have stairs anymore.


The honeymoon phase of the winter season is now over.  Tomorrow the cold comes back (projected high of 3 at the apartment, below zero at my property), which is unfortunate.  Saturday is slated to be colder still.  I am not sure what I am going to do at the property.  If the normal course of events holds true, there is over 2 feet of snow up there, on top of the 8" I haven't cleared from the last storm.  I will have to dig out the bank at the end by hand for sure, but it might be a painful couple of weeks with the snowblower (and several dozen shear pins) to get everything passable.  There is too much snow to plow, at least with anything that I have.  Mike Kelley has a plow truck, perhaps I can convince him to swing down with it.  I am pretty sure it doesn't have plates on it though.

It hasn't stopped yet, so I will post formal quantities tomorrow.

1 comment: