Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Driveway delayed, variance begun.

I went to the gravel place, and they said that they couldn't haul any gravel up there until the spring weight limits are gone.  Right now the road has a 5 ton weight limit.  He said they are almost always gone by May, but it will probably be earlier this year.

I also went up to the town hall today, and apparently the process for getting a variance is as follows:

  1. Fill out a building permit application.
  2. Meet with the town selectsman, who will say that they can't approve it until the zoning board approves it.
  3. (Normally one would be getting the septic approved at this point, but they are ok with me waiting on the septic until the variance decision is made)
  4. Call a meeting with the zoning board.  Normally they will visit the property and I can show them what is going where, and so on.
  5. Basically give the zoning board my motivation/reasons/etc for the variance.  From there they will either pass it or not.  I believe this is just a majority vote of the members.  
This weekend, I will be updating all my plans (since the length and design changed, my electrical/wiring diagram is out of date for example), documenting everything so that whatever they might question I can answer, plus it makes me look more prepared.  

No comments:

Post a Comment