Sunday, October 30, 2016

Checking off some more boxes off the pre-winter checklist.

Despite having to dodge the rain throughout the day, I did manage to get some stuff done this weekend.

I don't think I will have enough warm weather for concrete left this year, so I put a second piling next to the one that looks like it is washing out.  I don't think both of them will wash out, so this should hold until I get some free time and nice weather next year.


In addition, I got the outrigger supports cut and installed today.  They are very tight, I had to measure each on individually (it appears some of my rafters are not perfectly straight...), but they are all in and good and snug.  This is mostly because I was lazy when I built the outriggers and didn't build/install them in the traditional manner.


I hope to get the design for the ridge board rafter supports done tonight.  It is just the board that attaches the rafters on each side together around the ridge board, so it should be simple.

I also started to install driveway markers.  I need a lot more than I bought though.  I only got about halfway up one side of the driveway...


A side project I am working on during the too-cold-for-paint stretch of weather we have been having is an air conditioner cover for one of my coworkers.  I designed it on one of my trips to Valence.


I have the 2x6 outer frames marked up and ready to be cut.



So here is the updated to-do list before winter:
  1. Buy a new truck.
  2. Install the outrigger supports on the shed.
  3. Install the inter-rafter supports for the ridge board.
    • Hopefully get the design done tonight.
  4. Rework the pilings for the shed.
  5. Remove the trailer tanks.
  6. Sand and paint the trailer.
    • In progress
  7. Weld the new pieces onto the trailer.
    • This will likely get pushed out to next year.
  8. Put gravel down in the driveway.
    • Nice to have.
  9. Install driveway markers.
    • In progress
  10. Stabilize the mowers.
  11. Cover the piles and stuff on the slab.
  12. Electrical panel work.
    • Nice to have
  13. Install the mailbox.
    • Nice to have

1 comment: