Monday, February 6, 2023

Arctic weekend.

Thursday was pretty busy.  I met with the site work guy.  He didn't seem to think that the proximity to the rock shelf would be a problem and said everything was a pretty typical install from his perspective.  He said I would have to move the carport over to the rock wall, but that isn't a problem.  I am just glad I don't have to move it all the way down the hill so he has an area to work.  He did think that it would be difficult to actually get the house up there, so I expect to get a call from the company that moves the homes soonish.  I got the final quote for the 24401 (the one with the hook) built as a 28' wide instead of a 24' wide, and it isn't much more, so I will do that I think.  I also got the quote from the electrical/plumbing guy so I just need the site work quote.  

I intentionally didn't do anything Friday evening, I even did my shopping on Thursday so I wouldn't have to go out in the cold (it was already below zero when I got home Friday, and I got home early).  When I woke up Saturday morning, it was a nice frosty -21 (the weather station in Sullivan apparently froze and died, but the Nelson station was still reporting).  Surprisingly the heat didn't have any problems.  I turned the main space heater back up to high, and I ran the backup over by the bed on low since the main one points the other way and it was chilly in that end of the house.  



The washer water pipes were frozen (which I expected, they typically freeze when it gets to -5 or -10).  One thing I didn't expect though was apparently it was so cold that my propane wouldn't make go, so I had no hot water either.  Apparently error code 12 is no propane.  Which is a little confusing because the default temperature setting is 120.


Even the stove looked pretty anemic.  That is my power burner on high.  


I did go out and get a pizza though.  My truck started, but it was almost up to zero at that point.  My truck crossed 10,000 miles this weekend.

Sunday was still a little chilly, but the temperatures were back up to normal; it was mostly the wind on Sunday that made it feel cold.  My pipes all thawed so I got my chores all done.  I checked in the afternoon, and my hot water and everything was working fine again.  

I pulled out my compressor since the tractor tire was flat again.  I noticed it was really low last time I used it and the TPMS in my truck went off when the temperatures started to drop so I put some in those too.  


I also took out my battery charger and topped everything off.  Even the lawn tractor was fine though, everything went to float immediately.


The next thing on my list was to staple the plastic on the carport back up.  Turns out the bottoms have been torn up quite a bit.


I got most of it re-stapled though.


Using the step ladder was interesting.  It only slid on me once though.


After all that was done, it was time to do some work on the cap.  I got the bolts for the front hinge installed.  I only did every other hole, but I am not too worried.  I  have more bolts if I need them. I apparently forgot to take a picture, but I installed the latches that hold the back down as well.  I will get a picture of that next time.


I finished up the gasketing for the window.  I only did this side Sunday, since the other side is not really accessible.  I grabbed one of the window hinges and it appears that I might need to add some 1x3 to the inside support.  The support is centered at 4', but it looks uncomfortably tight to get overlap on both sides.


I noticed when I was installing the gasket that I apparently borked part of the roof install.  These are layered incorrectly.  Oops.   I will need to either tape it or fix it at some point.


Since I was constantly slipping on ice while I was doing the gasket, I then decided to take one of my iron bars out and break it up.  The ice has been really bad this year with the large amount of precipitation, the constant melting and freezing.  I got the side mostly broken up, at least what is further out than the cap.



I got a lot of the back broken up too, but not all the way to the cap before my arms got tired.  Oh well.  Still better.


I have the building permit paperwork all done (though I do have a couple of questions for the town), so I will be submitting that this week.  All I am waiting for on the contractor task is the last quote.  I don't need it for the building permit, but I obviously need it before I can start getting the mortgage paperwork done.  

Winter projects:
  • Knock down the dead knotweed.
  • Winterize equipment.  Fire up the generator
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Get contractors in place.  
  • Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment