Monday, February 13, 2023

Really nice but not productive weekend.

It was really nice this weekend, though I didn't really get much done.  On the house front, I got the Customer Verification List signed on the home and sent back.  That is basically the confirmed quote and bill of materials for the house.  Turns out the house got cheaper again too which is nice (this was quoted as 120k compared to the 129k).  I also got to the bank, grabbed their construction loan packet as their loan officer was running out the door, they seemed to think everything was going to be quick and easy, and I already did most of the work that they needed.  She didn't think I would need to put anything down for the mortgage either, since I am taking out a 150k mortgage on a place that she expects to be valued at 300k, but until things get finalized and assessed she couldn't say for sure.  That would be nice, since it means I can spend my down payment money on something like a heat pump.  I will be having a meeting with her later in the week to try to kick start that process.  I looked through the paperwork on Saturday, and I noticed there was no credit application in there, which struck me as odd.

Saturday I was really lazy.  It was pretty nice out, but I didn't really do much.  I did get out and enjoy it a bit, but I mostly napped and puttered around, got my chores done, and so on.  

Sunday was fabulous.  I looked at Otter Brook Dam, but none of that had been cleared yet and the parking lot was still full despite that.  Instead I went out for a while and walked the rail trail for a bit.  It was pretty much completely clear, though I had my creepers with me anyways.  I didn't need them.


Apparently someone was feeding birds that haven't migrated back with their coconuts yet. 


It looks like someone abandoned a bicycle on the trail.  That was kind of odd.  It is a really nice bike too.  The chain was just starting to rust, but a little chain cleaner and oil would be all it needed. 


After I got back from that (I also had to hit the grocery store for stuff for my Super Bowl party dish) I got a little bit of work done.  I confirmed that my carport is 12' exterior dimensions.  I might pick up a couple of boards later this week to try out lifting it.  I am hoping that I can just lift the carport as is with my tractor, just put one board across in the front and lift with the bucket, and another across the back and lift it with the rear, and then just drive with it.  I think it is too heavy (my hydraulic lift is only rated at 700lbs on my tractor), but I at least want to try it.  

I did get a little bit of cap work done, but not much.  I got the cap opened up today to test the hinge work I did last weekend.  I will need to add handles or something to lift it with at some point but otherwise it went well.  My only concern is that it can twist a bit more than I like.  I hope that will get better when the lifters are installed and the frame is clamped down to the truck though.  


For the windows I decided to just turn the board instead of adding a filler board.  I did get that done.  


I was going to install the front window, but realized that I didn't have enough gasket left.  Oops.  I knew one roll wasn't enough, I just never ordered a second one.  I will get that ordered today.  


Things are moving along nicely on the home front, and while cap progress has largely stalled, we have been treated to some almost spring-like weather (take that stupid woodchuck) so I am not worried about being able to cut the acrylic.  My snow has melted down significantly, and large swaths of my driveway are bare.  The yard is well under a foot at this point too, and we are supposed to hit 50's by the end of the week (and more rain) so it looks like the ground will be clearing before too long.  I am not sure I am ready to set up the portable garage thing yet to clear stuff out, but I will certainly consider it.  It came from Harbor Freight though, and it is still early enough we are likely to get another big snowstorm.  Then I have to start packing up the carport and house.  My truck goes in for its first servicing today and round two on fixing the seat.  

Winter projects:
  • Knock down the dead knotweed. 
  • Winterize equipment.  Fire up the generator
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Get contractors in place.  
  • Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

2 comments: