Tuesday, February 21, 2023

A little bit of cap work. Acrylic sucks.

I spent Saturday helping Stefan paint and do plumbing.  I lent him my power painter and whatnot in case he wants to use it.  

When I got home Saturday night, it turns out the sheet of acrylic I pulled out blew off the cap (I had left it on top).  I didn't see it when I was coming home and ran it over.  Ugh.  So I am now short on acrylic.  I still managed to get one piece out of it, but I don't have enough for the back window anymore.  


Sunday was not as nice as I originally thought.  It was warmer than Saturday, but the wind was howling most of the day.  I still convinced myself to go out and do a bit with the cap.  I got the acrylic cut for the windows and got a couple of bolts in each hinge installed.  I didn't have enough to put them all in, but have been finishing that up on my lunch break at work.


Some of the corners were pretty yucky, but oh well.  I am really beginning to think acrylic was the wrong material.  It seems to be too brittle and fragile.  I cracked another piece that I will need to replace when I took them out of my truck last night.  I went with acrylic for cost, but maybe lexan would have been worth the extra.


I also met with the guy who installs the homes on the property last week.  Apparently he is the same guy who installed the double wide on the slab that my tiny home is on.  Because the septic is very much in the way now, I might need some extra site work done.  I will reach out and get a quote for that hopefully this week.  

I also did some poking around on where I can put the carport.  I might have to find a way to leave it up by the shed while the home is being installed.  The road up there is not 12' wide though.  The installer guy said the area down by the road he will need to swing the front end of his truck around so I am not even certain that I can leave the house down there.  It should be mobile by then though, so if I have to move it when he delivers the home, it isn't a big deal.  


Snow coverage is down to barely 50%, maybe even less.  The banks, the drain field, and some of the deep shaded areas are all that is left at this point.  



Winter projects:
  • Knock down the dead knotweed. 
  • Winterize equipment.  Fire up the generator
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Get contractors in place.  
  • Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

1 comment:

  1. With as fast as winter is blowing past you , you may not have to worry about finishing your winterizing. :P

    ReplyDelete