Monday, January 16, 2023

Chilly weekend. I really need a heated garage.

Friday I went and picked up the flashing pieces that I ordered.  Saturday morning I went out and installed them.  


It was pretty chilly on Saturday, only barely making it into the 20s with a stout north wind.  I read the instructions on the flashing tape though, and you are only supposed to use it when it is over 40.  Considering that it is shiny and I will want to paint it so it isn't obnoxious, The cap might be getting into stalled territory until we get some warmer weather.  It is supposed to be in the mid 40s later this week, maybe I will paint and install it then.  I guess worst case I could just run my kerosene heater blowing at it for a few hours while the paint dries and adhesives cure or something.  Less than ideal, but I won't have to wait for spring for it.  It would be nice if I had a heated garage

I didn't really do much else on Saturday, but convinced myself to do more on Sunday.  Sunday was still chilly, but less windy and more sunny.  I actually opened up skirting for a bit so I could measure the offsets for the utilities, since I wanted to push the slab further back when I get it redone.  I will have plenty of space to do that.  The the septic drain is behind the axle, and the axles are more than I would push it back anyways.  I was thinking of pushing it back 12', which should be more than enough to allow me to turn the truck around.  Looks like I could go 14'-16' before I had to get serious about measuring.


I would have to keep an eye on the electric as well.  That might be the determining factor actually.  Although I guess there is nothing preventing me from moving the exterior panel onto a post and then running new wires inside.  This is all the spare wire that there is.


I just took a quick look while I was under there.  It is still remarkably clean underneath, no pools of water or anything which is good.  


The wheels look rough.  Really rough.  They were dryrotted when I brought the trailer home 7 years ago.  They were still inflated though, even after all these years.  I will still replace them though.


After that, I went and walked along my stream for a bit.  





I also checked my propane.  I will need to get a hold of the propane company at some point to get the tanks moved, though I have plenty until then.


Since it was too cold to do any more work on the cap, I decided to go out and work on knocking down the knotweed.  Here is what it looked like.  


The whole area is now cleared though.  I also chopped the bigger stalks up a bit.


I did have a casualty though.  Fortunately I was almost done when this happened.  


I also put some salt down since it was originally supposed to be nice the next couple of days, and I was hoping it would melt everything down.


Naturally though, since I did that, we got another few inches of snow last night.  Ugh.  We have had some pretty sunsets the last couple of days though.  


I will be sending out requests for quotes at some point today for the water system and the site work, to get those rolling.  I completed the knotweed task though, so that is done.  I contemplated starting on the shed windows, but then I got lazy.  

Winter projects:
  • Knock down the dead knotweed. 
  • Winterize equipment.  Fire up the generator
  • Get the building permit.
  • Complete detailed house plans.
  • Work with La Valley to get a concrete contractor.  Get the plan/schedule in place. 
  • Design future method of travel.  Consider building the prototype.
  • Shed floor.
  • Shed windows.
  • Fix generator box.  Decide/do something about power center.
  • Clear/mark walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment